Memory Upgrade Question

tomshardware486

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I am about upgrade from G41 platform to X58. I currently have 2 sticks of GSkill DDR3 1333 memory. My next motherboard will support 6 sticks of DDR3. I would like to buy another 8 GB pair of the same GSkill memory that I have, add one stick to my current pair for my next computer and put the remaining stick in another computer. What are the odds of getting that to work? Do I have to buy a matched set of 3 sticks for my X58? I plan to run at stock speed without overclocking. Is it really necessary to get matched sets if I don't plan to overclock (just same type of memory, brand, model)? I ultimately would like to upgrade to 24 GB, but only need 8 or 12 GB for now. Same question, if I buy a 12 GB kit now, could I add in another 12 GB later (same kit) once prices fall?

voxgm_29

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
In my opinion id use all the same sticks 1333 with 1333 and so on. I even use the same brand always....just makes it more simple knowing what i have works....thats all that matters to me

My points:

1) never mix RAM.

2) I recommend getting the Sandy Bridge setup (1155, P67 motherboard etc)

3) If P67/1155 then it's dual so 8GB (2x4GB 1600MHz recommended)

4) Buy a non-stock CPU heatsink/fan. It really makes a huge difference for noise (carefully measure). I actually ran my i7-860 at 100% with my heatsink fans shut off and it never hit 60degC.

FYI, currently gaming won't benefit from more than 4GB. Having 8GB will slightly improve some multi-tasking situations but it's not a big deal. More than 8GB is an absolute waste and creates a LOT of heat which the fans must move.

Gaming is all about BALANCE. Having said that, since a $300 CPU can handle two $400 graphics cards it's still good to get that $300 CPU even though a $150 could handle one card nicely. That way you can throw in a 5870 or GTX560 etc which is good for a while then get a better card later knowing the CPU can handle it.