Sign in with
Your question

Enough requirement for a simple HTPC?

Last response: in Systems
July 4, 2010 2:22:59 PM

Hello there..... I'm looking to build an entry level HTPC which will be used 95% of the time for movies (all sorts - DVD, BD, Streaming, Xvid etc) and for browsing. No gaming for me at all..........

I have in mind the following mobo and processor

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

with Phenom II X4 965BE.

The question - Is the on-board graphic and sound enough for my usage or do i have to go for a Radeon HD 5 series graphics card which also does HD audio? Just keep in mind i dont do games at all..............

I am looking for HD quality movie viewing direct to my HDTV along with with HD quality sound channeled through my AV receiver.

Thanks in advance for any inputs............
July 4, 2010 2:38:16 PM

1. After 780G/GF8200 IGP back in '08, IGP is fine for HTPC duty (not IGP earlier)
2. Err i would think a Regor X2 if no encoding whatsoever or a Rana X3/Propus X4 would be more than enuff for chip hehe 965BE way overkill....
July 4, 2010 2:43:14 PM

Thanks Batuchka

The chip decision was with future in mind and also the price is not that big a difference...........

Anything on the audio front?????
Related resources
July 4, 2010 2:51:48 PM

The onboard audio chips in current chipsets would do for most but if you have top class/high end audio set up peeps would usually consider the sound card or even a USB DAC, etc ^^
July 4, 2010 2:59:00 PM

Thanks again............ I have a decent audio setup..... nothing top class.......... so i guess its IGP for video/audio for me!!!!!!!!!!!!
!