Solved

A 500W PSU for 4870

I have a sapphire ati radeon 4870 512 mb.The minimum Requirement is stated as 500w and for 600w in a sli config.I was wondering if i could get a Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500 W .

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Power-Plus-500-W-Power-Supply-Review/728/2

I have seen that the 4870 can pull as much power as 300w under load see :-

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-4870,1964-15.html

Thus i was wondering if i could get away with with the 5oow supply stated above or i should go for the 600w in the same series though it has got bad reviews for being short of its boasting.If you can post some links about the power usage of 4870 in full load conditions it would be highly appreciated.

I have e7500,1 hdd 500 gb,1dvdrw.

Thanks.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 500w 4870
  1. If you have the budget to buy the 600W model, then you have the budget to buy a much better PSU. Newegg has the 600W unit for $70, you can grab a Seasonic S12II 520W unit for that price including shipping, its a high quality unit and is actually quite a bit more powerful than that 600W cooler master
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094&cm_re=s12II-_-17-151-094-_-Product
  2. Hello CrissCross1812;
    I know your options for PSUs are going to be different from ours.
    But is there a website we can look through for other options?
    Or you can list options beside that CM eXtreme Power Plus and we can give you some ideas that get you a better value for your money.
  3. CM PSU's tend to be overrated. If you really must use one, subtract 100 - 150 watts from the advertised rating. I'd say a CM 500 is inadequate and a CM 600 is marginal.

    "I have seen that the 4870 can pull as much power as 300w under load see :- "

    That 300 watts is for the complete system, not just the video card. A 4870, by itself, needs about 12 - 13 amps peaking to 15 amps under full 3D load.

    Even so, I wouldn't use either CM PSU. Both hunter and WR2 are right. Gives us a list of available brands and models where you live.
  4. WR2 said:
    Hello CrissCross1812;
    I know your options for PSUs are going to be different from ours.
    But is there a website we can look through for other options?
    Or you can list options beside that CM eXtreme Power Plus and we can give you some ideas that get you a better value for your money.



    Quote:
    CM PSU's tend to be overrated. If you really must use one, subtract 100 - 150 watts from the advertised rating. I'd say a CM 500 is inadequate and a CM 600 is marginal.

    "I have seen that the 4870 can pull as much power as 300w under load see :- "

    That 300 watts is for the complete system, not just the video card. A 4870, by itself, needs about 12 - 13 amps peaking to 15 amps under full 3D load.

    Even so, I wouldn't use either CM PSU. Both hunter and WR2 are right. Gives us a list of available brands and models where you live.



    http://techshop.in/store/index.php?cPath=320_194

    http://www.anythinginit.com/products.asp?scpk=158

    http://www.newtechnology.co.in/smps-power-supply-unit-psu-price-list-in-india/ this doesn't ship the actual product but lists all the available options.

    but i cannot extend my budget more than 80$ (1 us $=47र Indian rupee)
  5. Paying $80 (3,697 INR @ techshop) for a CM extreme Power Plus 600W - - is pretty shocking.
    -> But in your budget range it looks to be your best option. And it should get the job done for you.
  6. I'd also say the Tagan Stonerock TG500-U37 500W Power Supply would be my 2nd choice ahead of the CM extreme Power Plus 500W in 3rd place.
  7. In case you're wondering why we're not happy with the CM eXtreme Power Plus PSU you can take a peek at this review:
    Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600 W Power Supply Review @ Hardware Secrets
    "Why manufacturers like Cooler Master are still carrying power supplies with fake wattages is a mystery to us. We know that this is a very low-end power supply, but this doesn’t give the manufacturer the right to lie. This unit should be labeled as a 450 W unit and sold for half of its price. Being labeled as a 600 W product and sold for USD 70, it is a complete rip-off."

    "If you pull more than 450 W from this product, it will offer real risk to your computer, plus it provides poor efficiency, between 69.2% and 77.6%.
    "
  8. hunter315 said:
    If you have the budget to buy the 600W model, then you have the budget to buy a much better PSU. Newegg has the 600W unit for $70, you can grab a Seasonic S12II 520W unit for that price including shipping, its a high quality unit and is actually quite a bit more powerful than that 600W cooler master
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094&cm_re=s12II-_-17-151-094-_-Product


    WR2 said:
    Paying $80 (3,697 INR @ techshop) for a CM extreme Power Plus 600W - - is pretty shocking.
    -> But in your budget range it looks to be your best option. And it should get the job done for you.


    WR2 said:
    I'd also say the Tagan Stonerock TG500-U37 500W Power Supply would be my 2nd choice ahead of the CM extreme Power Plus 500W in 3rd place.


    WR2 said:
    In case you're wondering why we're not happy with the CM eXtreme Power Plus PSU you can take a peek at this review:
    Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600 W Power Supply Review @ Hardware Secrets
    "Why manufacturers like Cooler Master are still carrying power supplies with fake wattages is a mystery to us. We know that this is a very low-end power supply, but this doesn’t give the manufacturer the right to lie. This unit should be labeled as a 450 W unit and sold for half of its price. Being labeled as a 600 W product and sold for USD 70, it is a complete rip-off."

    "If you pull more than 450 W from this product, it will offer real risk to your computer, plus it provides poor efficiency, between 69.2% and 77.6%.
    "



    Hey man if you could see this link too as its the most trustworthy supplier in India

    http://computers.shop.ebay.in/Power-Supplies-/3670/i.html?_catref=1

    If you could see my Q. again you will see that i have referred to the same review from hardware secrets and thats why i am a little sceptical but it is the most popular psu (smps) supplier and cooling solutions in my country which sucks by the way.
  9. jsc said:
    CM PSU's tend to be overrated. If you really must use one, subtract 100 - 150 watts from the advertised rating. I'd say a CM 500 is inadequate and a CM 600 is marginal.

    "I have seen that the 4870 can pull as much power as 300w under load see :- "

    That 300 watts is for the complete system, not just the video card. A 4870, by itself, needs about 12 - 13 amps peaking to 15 amps under full 3D load.

    Even so, I wouldn't use either CM PSU. Both hunter and WR2 are right. Gives us a list of available brands and models where you live.



    http://computers.shop.ebay.in/Power-Supplies-/3670/i.html?_catref=1

    http://techshop.in/store/index.php?cPath=320_194

    http://www.anythinginit.com/products.asp?scpk=158

    http://www.newtechnology.co.in/smp [...] -in-india/

    Budget 80$
  10. I'd be willing to say its 'most popular' based on price alone.
    Although why people are willing to pay that much for it is a mystery.

    The "500W for a 4870" is more about getting enough +12V amperage and less about the actual 500W.

    I think if I were in your position I'd choose a Corsair 400CX Rs 2,850. It's a 400W PSU that acts more like a 450W PSU. And does an honest 400W extremely well. Corsair CX400W Power Supply Review

    And not pay Rs 3,697 for a "600" PSU that should should be labeled 450W and is shaky about doing that.
  11. Best answer
    I am running a HD 4870 1GB along with an E6750 overclocked to 3.2 GHz and two hard driver plus the other regular components with an Antec TP 550W.. Its a secondary PC for me now but i've no issues till date.. Its a must follow rule to never skimp on getting a quality PSU even if it would cost a little on the higher side.. I'll recommend getting the Corsair VX 550W..
  12. Even if the Corsair 550VX costs $116?
  13. WR2 said:
    Even if the Corsair 550VX costs $116?


    Well the prices in India are a little steep.. There is another website to refer and/or shop for components naming www.primeabgb.com
  14. Best answer selected by crisscross1812.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Power Components Product