July 4, 2010 4:41:58 PM

First of all, here are the parts

OCZ 700W PSU
ASUS LGA 1156 ATX Motherboard
A-DATA DDR 2x2 GB Ram
Samsung 1TB Hard Drive
XFX Radeon HD5850
Intel i5-750

When I try to boot, I get a 1 long beep and 3 short beeps from the speaker and a "DVI no signal" from the monitor screen when I try to get into the BIOS by mashing del. The LED at the bottom of the mobo is constantly on while the red led next to the MemOk! button is on, then turns off after a few seconds. This is with everything put together.

When I tried to breadboard, without the ram and video card, I get 1 long beep with 2 short beeps repeating.
With 1 ram stick, 1 long beep 3 short beeps. With the 2nd ram stick, 1 long beep 3 short beeps. With the video card, 1 long beep 3 short beeps. With the monitor connected, 1 long beep 3 short beeps, then 10 seconds afterward another short beep.

There is no beep code translation in the motherboard manual so I could not decipher the beeps.
This is my first time constructing a computer so I don't really know much.

More about : system boot

July 4, 2010 5:10:07 PM

Yes, mine is a 4 pin connector and it is plugged in. Every single cord is plugged in except for a 8 pin from the PSU but that cord is unnecessary because my cpu power cord is 4 pin.
m
l
Related resources
July 4, 2010 5:56:03 PM

when you boot, does bios load? If not try replacing your cmos battery. or reinstalling bios to an upgraded version.
m
l
July 4, 2010 6:00:54 PM

No, I can't get bios to load at all. And how would I go about reinstalling the bios or replacing the battery?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2010 6:39:55 PM

Orangered said:
No, I can't get bios to load at all. And how would I go about reinstalling the bios or replacing the battery?

The battery is a #2032 Lithium cell located on the motherboard. Take it out, and set aside for 5 minutes. This will reset the BIOS to factory default specs. - this might be a good time to replace the battery if required.

This battery supplies power to the CMOS and to the system clock that displays the time and date. Normal life is between 5 years and 10 years.
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2010 7:14:30 PM

One long and three short beeps means that you have a video problem. Make sure that you have 6 pin PCI power cables plugged into your video card.

If not that, then you should try to test the card in another computer.
m
l
July 4, 2010 7:28:21 PM

I don't have anything connected to my video card other than the one that connects to my monitor, I didn't see any pins to connect into for the card.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2010 7:34:35 PM

Orangered said:
I don't have anything connected to my video card other than the one that connects to my monitor, I didn't see any pins to connect into for the card.

This video card has TWO 6-pin power connectors located at the end of the card. Here are pics: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...

This means that you need TWO 6-pin cables - do not go for a single cable with a Y-splitter.
m
l
July 4, 2010 7:56:12 PM

Alright, so I connected the two 6 pin power connectors for the video card but the wires are kind of weird.

http://imgur.com/FNGLY

The part not connected is that whole column.

I plugged it in anyway and then tried booting it but nothing happened. I tried pressing the MemOK button but it just restarted and booted and still, nothing happened.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2010 8:07:35 PM

Orangered said:
Alright, so I connected the two 6 pin power connectors for the video card but the wires are kind of weird.

http://imgur.com/FNGLY

The part not connected is that whole column.

I plugged it in anyway and then tried booting it but nothing happened. I tried pressing the MemOK button but it just restarted and booted and still, nothing happened.

The next step would be this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
m
l
!