Sign in with
Your question

New high-end comp build

Last response: in Systems
July 4, 2010 6:30:01 PM

Hi, I'm new here on the forums but I've used Tom's Hardware for many years as a source for hardware info.

The time for me to buy a new pc has finally come! Although I wanted to share with the community for any tips or recommendations for my new build.

As of now this is what I've chosen:

cpu: Core i7 Extreme Edition I7-980X 12 MB

motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme Republic of Gamers

graphics card: XFX HD-597A-CNB9 Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition 2GB 512

RAM: 3x2GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000mhz DDR3 RAM (CMT6GX3M3A1600C6)

HDD: Corsair X256 SSD

sound card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX

case: Corsair Obsidian 800D

psu: Corsair Professional Series HX1000W

cpu cooler: Danamics LMX Superleggera CPU Cooler

Is there anything I am missing or a component that would be better, then please tell. :) 

Thanks for your time!

More about : high end comp build

July 4, 2010 9:14:09 PM

What Hard Drive are you going to use?

Have you considerd an SSD? Obviously you have a pretty high budget. I could see a 120 GB SSD in your build and really making it fly!
July 4, 2010 9:18:00 PM

Fill out form in sticky, link in my sig.
Related resources
July 4, 2010 9:21:43 PM

Forgot to add HDD. I have done so now.

What one of my biggest issues at the moment is the PSU as I really wanted to include a "80 Plus Gold" one but can't seem to locate them anywhere.
July 4, 2010 9:43:28 PM

I've never seen the point of a 5970. I my eyes it's a solution for people with very limited pci slots(IOW small LAN cases or budget limited builds and you are neither).

It is on par with the cheaper and cooler 5850 CF.

It's far inferior to the similarly priced 470gtx sli.

And it's upgrade potential is very limited compared to 480's.

IMO evga 4-way + 480gtx sli

OR

ud9 + 480gtx sli

OR

RIIIE + 480gtx sli

Is the way to go.

Also I wouldn't leave out a 500dollar+ watercooling rig.

If that sounds to much we can make lots of cutbacks:

Smaller or slower(but still fast) ssd

i7 930

Slower ram. I don't know hoe much those GTs cost but I'm sure it's a fortune. And ram speed makes minimal performance differences.
July 4, 2010 9:52:27 PM

I think you have a good build.
July 4, 2010 9:52:53 PM

I would add a 1 TB media drive tho. You don't wanna fill the 256GB SSD up with crap. Trust me.
July 4, 2010 10:01:08 PM

cmcghee358 said:
I think you have a good build.

It's a good build I'll give you that but there is money wasted and the GPU is really underpowered compared to the rest.
July 4, 2010 10:05:57 PM

Can you list your pherirpherals? because for example a sound card on a 100dollar speaker system is ridiculous.
July 4, 2010 10:34:22 PM

Somebody_007 said:
I've never seen the point of a 5970. I my eyes it's a solution for people with very limited pci slots(IOW small LAN cases or budget limited builds and you are neither).

It is on par with the cheaper and cooler 5850 CF.

It's far inferior to the similarly priced 470gtx sli.

And it's upgrade potential is very limited compared to 480's.

IMO evga 4-way + 480gtx sli

OR

ud9 + 480gtx sli

OR

RIIIE + 480gtx sli

You are pitching the EVGA mobo with 480GTX SLI? I can see the point though I always thought a single 5970 would be better than the SLI solution.

I'm all ears here, aim to build a great pc and budget isn't that important.

About the water cooling, not so interested in that as I don't plan on overclocking. Just want a fast and stable system. :) 

Thanks for the tips.
July 4, 2010 10:36:18 PM

Somebody_007 said:
Can you list your pherirpherals? because for example a sound card on a 100dollar speaker system is ridiculous.

I chose that sound card because it's on of the best. I plan to tether it to my audio rig which composes of a Rudistor AMP and a Wavelength Audio Crimson DAC. The 24bit capabilities of the sound card are much neeeded. :) 
July 5, 2010 7:59:22 AM

Well the 5970 is the most powerfull single card in the world but thats where the good stuff ends. You can only have 2 of them because they are dual gpu cards. So your upgrade path is limited. Also their scaling isn't wonderful if you add another.

3-way 480 beats dual 5970. Justifying the 100dollar price difference. 480s are hot and power hungry which can be justified by the 3dsurround capability. And you can go up to 4-way sli.

So I would get 2 480s as they have an upgrade path. And are just as good(or bad) a buy as ati if upgrading isn't on your mind.

And as for the watercooling. I understand you aren't comfortable OCing. But an OC'd 930 will beat a stock 980 on many occasions(maybe all depending on the greatness of the OC). My point is it's worth taking the minute risk of breakage on a 300dollar cpu by making the most out of it than playing safe with a 1000dollar cpu who's performance will go largely to waste.
July 5, 2010 8:29:00 AM

Also 5970s are apperently very loud
July 5, 2010 10:02:53 AM

Somebody_007 said:
Well the 5970 is the most powerfull single card in the world but thats where the good stuff ends. You can only have 2 of them because they are dual gpu cards. So your upgrade path is limited. Also their scaling isn't wonderful if you add another.

3-way 480 beats dual 5970. Justifying the 100dollar price difference. 480s are hot and power hungry which can be justified by the 3dsurround capability. And you can go up to 4-way sli.

So I would get 2 480s as they have an upgrade path. And are just as good(or bad) a buy as ati if upgrading isn't on your mind.

And as for the watercooling. I understand you aren't comfortable OCing. But an OC'd 930 will beat a stock 980 on many occasions(maybe all depending on the greatness of the OC). My point is it's worth taking the minute risk of breakage on a 300dollar cpu by making the most out of it than playing safe with a 1000dollar cpu who's performance will go largely to waste.

Overclocking is something I am interested in but I've never tried before. Don't want to grill my hardware so I'll need some basics before I start venturing into unknown land.

As for the 480GTX - I know plan on buying 2 of those for SLI instead of the single 5970. :) 
!