Dropped screw washer into PSU

moonlightffxiv

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Hello,

I am in the process of building my PC and I believe I dropped x1 screw washer into the power supply while installing the CPU cooler. I tried to open the PSU but there's a warning paper on top saying warranty will void if open, and tbh it seems complicated to open this thing lol

I tried shaking it but I can't hear anything. I didn't see the washer fall into the PSU but I assumed it did cause it's positioned right below the cpu cooler

What to do!!

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
what sort of washer is it...

is it a metal one or is it one of those brown / red type which is not made of metal but a cardboard type material

if its that then its ok if its metal then baboom ..

dont try this at home folks unless you not faint hearted or stupid..

If you havent got any comon sense, brains, an education or a girlfriend then you should put the pc back in the box and take it forth with to the shop you bought it from..

remember pcs are for life ... I should know ive been on them for over 20 odd years..com

Shake it hader, or what you can do (i have done it before) is get your kettle boiling and hold the warranty void sticker over the steam that comes from it. It should loosen the glue on the sticker and should peel off without breaking it. You can then take the thing apart, get the washer out and put it back together and put the sticker back on. I have also removed stickers by soaking a cloth with metho and leaving it over the top of the sticker for about 20 mins, then it should come off without tearing. As a last resort, plug the thing in, if it goes POP then RMA it. Just dont admit you dropped the washer in there (they probably wont open it up to look anyway).

I actually dropped a mobo screw in there once not too long ago. But luckily I was able to shake it out without too much issue. But yeah, definitely learned a lesson about that... don't want to let stuff fall in there.

Anyway, all you can really do is try to shake it out...