Black screen as if unplugged

firemusic

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
with the geforce 8400 gs when screen turned off it behaves as if it was unplugged... why's that? my monitor is a samsung syncmaster 793v. i had a geforce 6200 turbo before that worked OK in this matter; what can i do to make my black screen black and not as if unplugged? thnx

Solution

Oh wow, now I get it. The plug icon on your screen is indicating that there is nothing plugged into the monitor, not anything to do with your PC. When the screen goes black your computer has gone into 'sleep' mode and turns the screen off. It really is nothing to...
Maybe I'm dense, but I'm not truly understanding what firemusic is talking about. Anyone else find their descriptions... lacking?

When screen turned off.... does that mean you turn off the power switch on the monitor?

as if it was unplugged.... does that mean the power light on the monitor is off? Or what do you mean?

I'm not sure if we're talking about the monitor not going into a "standby" mode, or what we're talking about here.

firemusic

Distinguished
May 26, 2010

yes the card is in place and yes unistalled the driver, i even formated the pc since. it's realy strange because apart from that all works normal, it is only when the screen turns off that the little green plug stays moving as a screensaver. also when i shutdown the screen behaves as if unplugged, that's all. so i have to turn off the monitor...thnx

firemusic

Distinguished
May 26, 2010

yes hard for me to explain ... if you unplug your monitor from the pc there will be a kind of green screen saver in the shape of a plug that stays moving in the monitor, so, when my pc is idle for 30mn my screen turns off, meaning black, no image. but it's not black really it shows as if the monitor wasn't plugged into the pc. this happens also when the pc is turn off , shutdown... ok man, i hope it's clear now, (some technical terms that are not used rightly). thnx

Shadowsken

Distinguished
May 22, 2010

Oh wow, now I get it. The plug icon on your screen is indicating that there is nothing plugged into the monitor, not anything to do with your PC. When the screen goes black your computer has gone into 'sleep' mode and turns the screen off. It really is nothing to worry about, it's meant to happen. :). Even if you do get the little plug icon, it only means that there is no input from the PC at that time. Does the screen turn back on when you move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard?

Solution

firemusic

Distinguished
May 26, 2010

yes man all is working normal but as the PC is in my sleeping room i have every time to power off the monitor each time i want a complete black screen without the little ****** running on it, that's all. with the 6200 turbo i had before the screen was black as it should, anyway thanks