Thinkpad X40 hard drive question

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm thinking of buying an X40 and one area of concern is its special
"half size" Hitachi Travelstar hard drive. I'm ok with the 40gb max
capacity, but am worried about not being able to replace the drive.
I've had rather bad luck with Travelstar drives in the past, and I
don't like to RMA them once they have personal data on them (I just
buy replacement non-Hitachi drives and eat the expense).

Does anyone know if this new small drive is in a standard form factor,
like 1.8" or whatever? 1.8" drives are commonly used in mp3 players
(e.g. iPod) so that would be a logical choice, and there are places
where you can buy the bare drives.

Thanks.

On 31 Oct 2004 09:02:58 -0800, Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

>Does anyone know if this new small drive is in a standard form factor,
>like 1.8" or whatever? 1.8" drives are commonly used in mp3 players
>(e.g. iPod) so that would be a logical choice, and there are places
>where you can buy the bare drives.

The drives are standard and readily available. Replacing one
shouldn't be a problem.
Emanuel

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

> Does anyone know if this new small drive is in a standard form factor,
> like 1.8" or whatever? 1.8" drives are commonly used in mp3 players
> (e.g. iPod) so that would be a logical choice, and there are places
> where you can buy the bare drives.

Unfortunately, the HDs in iPods and similar devices use a different
connector than that on the X40, which uses a standard IDE connector.

AFAIK, and as of this moment, Hitachi is the only manufacturer providing HDs
in the 1.8" form factor with a standard IDE connector.

I expect to see an X40 compatible 1.8" 60GB HD from Hitachi in the stores
before Xmas.

--
Regards,

James