Sign in with
Your question

Need motherboard thats compatible with Asus Geforce 8800

Last response: in Motherboards
April 4, 2011 9:01:22 AM

It appears my Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P: intel P35 Motherboard has a serious malfunction. I need to replace it?
The rets of the desk top goes as follows;
Intel Core 2 Quad'Q6600' DDR2
Corsair 4GB XMS2-6400 800mhz 5-5-5-12 DDR2 memory kit 2x2GB
Asus Ge-Force8800 GT
WD Caviar Green 1.5TB HDD
Need a compatible motherboard the current one is Lga775
Am thinking of Asus Blitz or similar and will replace the CPU if need be.
Are the above compatible with DDR3????
Please Advise??????
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 4, 2011 10:47:04 AM

The Core 2 Quad Q6600 should work with DDR3 memory boards seeing as the old Core 2s had the memory controllers on the motherboard chipset iirc. Your old 4 GB DDR2 memory kit would not work however, although your 8800 GT and WD Cav. Green 1.5 TB HDD will. How much are you willing to spend? If it's just a budget replacement for a motherboard (which I advise, seeing as the Q6600 is still more than able to handle most games and activities even today), then really I wouldn't try finding new DDR3 RAM unless you plan on buying a completely new setup - if so, then you'd have to change your CPU and memory.
April 4, 2011 12:00:38 PM

As long as I can run auto cad on this config happy to stick with it. Just need a decent compatible Motherboard. looking at ASUS P5Q. Have authorisation to spend up to $200.00. as long as it's compatible with everything else and can cope with windows7 ultimate 64 bit.
Already spent $3500 on a new work desk top to run 3D auto Cad.
The one above is the home PC and back up PC
Related resources
April 7, 2011 4:30:34 AM

Lmeow said:
The Core 2 Quad Q6600 should work with DDR3 memory boards seeing as the old Core 2s had the memory controllers on the motherboard chipset iirc. Your old 4 GB DDR2 memory kit would not work however, although your 8800 GT and WD Cav. Green 1.5 TB HDD will. How much are you willing to spend? If it's just a budget replacement for a motherboard (which I advise, seeing as the Q6600 is still more than able to handle most games and activities even today), then really I wouldn't try finding new DDR3 RAM unless you plan on buying a completely new setup - if so, then you'd have to change your CPU and memory.

It would seem I cannot get a motherboard to suit as they are discontinued..Shame really Have been happy with the config with the exception of the motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP35 this has been giving us a lot of problems.
I may have to upgrade the motherboard and Ram Kit...
Any ideas as to what Motherboard and Ram... It's just the home PC... No major gaming going on. Do Not want Low end stuff. Mid To High end. Would like to keep the CPU but if not so be it?
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 7, 2011 6:13:34 AM

Most higher end, or at least non-budget LGA 775 motherboards should support the Q6600 (I'd check the websites just to be sure). I'm sorry to say though, that I really cannot provide any good recommendation for a board from that era. I'd just suggest you not to spend too much however on relatively old setup. With regards to RAM - most dual channel kits will work, and 4 gigs should be plenty.
!