Sign in with
Your question

Is this a good value?

Last response: in Systems
July 4, 2010 8:02:09 PM

I did up this configuration and wanted to know if it was worth it to buy or still build my own from Newegg:
(I'd be playing games, surfing, watching moves, winrar, and very lightly working with photos in programs like photoshop).

I don't need an o/s, monitor, keyboard, mouse or speakers.

Case : NZXT Lexa-S Gaming Case-Black w/ Blue Light
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 Processor (4x 2.80GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling: Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator [SOCKET-1366]
Memory: 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333-Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 1GB-Single Card
Motherboard: [SLI] ASUS P6X58D-E
Power Supply: 700 Watt -- Power Supply-SLI Ready
Primary Hard Drive: 30 GB Kingston SSDNow V Series MLC SSD-Single Drive
Data Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 64M Cache Single Drive
Optical Drive: 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive-Black
Flash Media Reader/Writer: 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer-Black
Sound Card: 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card: Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Keyboard
Mouse

Subtotal $1,098.00 + $65 ship = $1163.00

Well? Worth it or should I still build my own?

More about : good

July 4, 2010 9:12:29 PM

No it's lopsided. Anytime I see an i7-930 with a 5770 it's a completely lopsided build.

Also its all generic crap? 700W PSU. Really what brand? How many Amps on the 12V rails? How many 12V rails?

HDD? How big are the platters?

Liquid Cooling with a 120mm radiator? Is that an H50 cooler?

Build your own.
m
l
July 4, 2010 9:20:30 PM

Where are you considering buying that PC from? Have you checked their resellerratings or BBB.org pages?

Overall that build is a piece of junk. You're better off building your own. Fill out the form in the sticky, link in my sig.
m
l
Related resources
July 4, 2010 10:29:53 PM

Actually, I just saw this ad for ibuypower.com and went to their website and designed it myself (sort of like Dell).

I wasn't sure though because I only heard of the name from Newegg with prebuilt systems that they sell. But a friend of mine bought one from them directly and told me about it and said they were ok, but you never know...then again, you never know with some of the feedback you see on Newegg with some of the products.

I just went and checked their BBB rating and it was a "B", which is actually the same rating for Dell. BUT newegg has a rating of "A+"!!! WOW!! Newegg beats them both!

Yes the 700 PS is a no name for all I know, but you can take a name brand one for a bit more. I just changed it to a brand name called Thermaltake.

I have no idea how many platters there are on the HDD or the brand name.

The brand name on the cooling unit is Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator (Intel). There is a video on youtube about it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlFG6T_68e8&feature=rela... and here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GloA6WHKTFk&feature=rela...

The video card I went with a lower one because I thought I could upgrade later when the price drops. I didn't know if the HD 5770 was enough, but I chose XFX for the brand.

Yeah, I am thinking about sticking with building it myself, but I did go back and make some changes...how about this for the final before I go back to good ol Newegg?

Case NZXT Lexa-S Gaming Case-Black w/ Blue Light
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 930 Processor (4x 2.80GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator (Intel)
Memory 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333-Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 1GB-Single Card
Motherboard [SLI] ASUS P6X58D-E
Power Supply 750 Watt -- Thermaltake TR2 TRX-750M Power Supply-SLI Ready
Primary Hard Drive 30 GB Kingston SSDNow V Series MLC SSD-Single Drive **FREE after $60 Mail-in Rebate**
Data Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 64M Cache Single Drive
Optical Drive 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive-Black
Flash Media Reader/Writer : 2-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer-Black
Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Keyboard iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard-Black
Mouse iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse-Black
Speaker System iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer ( cheap looking for $5)
Warranty Standard Warranty Service-Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support
Advanced Build Options Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower-Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis
Advanced Build Options: Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower-Basic Pro Wiring
Subtotal $1,179.00 + $65.00 shipping - $60 rebate on Kingston drive = $1184.00

And here is the advice sticky (thank you banthracis! I should have done that first):

Amount I wished to spend: $1200-$1300
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: now or in the next week...whenever a good sale pops up.
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: games, surfing, some light photo work on photoshop winrar.
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg, tigerdirect, microcenter, mwave.
PARTS PREFERENCES: just materials with good feeback on newegg (they are the best for looking up stuff!)
OVERCLOCKING: No but maybe later
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes (for later if I can't afford it).
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: something upgradable in the next 3 years.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!! :sol: 
m
l
July 4, 2010 11:24:07 PM

My recommendation would be to drop down to an i5-750, even if you buy from IBuyPower your build your own. The ATI 5770 is the right GPU for your resolution but the i7-930's cost doesn't fit your needs. You'll be able to do everything with the i5-750, as you can with the i7-930 but for $200 less. This will allow you to look to get a least a 50GB SSD, if not higher. A 30GB SSD won't give you much room after Win7 installed and keeping at least 10% free at all times for TRIM support and help the SSD keep it's speed up!
m
l
July 4, 2010 11:45:57 PM

I guess I thought was I was getting a good deal with that build, but I don't know computers like I used to, which is why I am thankful for this site and all the good advice given.

Any good suggestions then for building one on Newegg, tigerdirect, for the same price range?

Thanks!
m
l
July 4, 2010 11:52:19 PM
July 5, 2010 4:14:48 PM

See? Thats a good build by Tecmo. i5-750 w/ a 5850 is much more balanced. Also a good Corsair PSU which is the top of the line. Even better than Thermaltake. The hard drive he has is a 500 GB 7200 w/ 1 500 GB platter. Thats also top of the line.

The HAF 922 has much better airflow and cable management than the NZXT.

His build here is cheaper in cost but higher in quality and most importantly, it's balanced.

Also there could be a comparable AMD build as well.
m
l
!