Canon Eclipses Sony in 2004...Where's Nikon?

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 18, 2004 4:23:47 PM

According to
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/12/16/digital.camera...
Canon sales were number one in 2004:

"The top five worldwide market leaders in digital camera sales in 2004 are,
in rank order, Canon Inc., Sony Corp., Olympus Corp., Eastman Kodak Co. and
Fuji Photo Film Co., the firm said."

What happened to Nikon???
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 5:28:43 PM

bmoag wrote:
> How many of the components in these cameras were actually made by
Sony or
> licensed from Sony? You would be surprised at the answer.

Correct me if I am wrong but Canon manufactures its own sensors, Kodak
does it own, Olympus 4/3rd is powered by Kodak, Panasonic does it own
and Fuji does it own. Yes, Nikon uses Sony CCDs.

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 12:33:30 AM

How many of the components in these cameras were actually made by Sony or
licensed from Sony? You would be surprised at the answer.
December 19, 2004 12:33:31 AM

"bmoag" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> How many of the components in these cameras were actually made by Sony or
> licensed from Sony? You would be surprised at the answer.

OK.
I'll bite...Surprise me.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 4:01:54 AM

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> bmoag wrote:
> > How many of the components in these cameras were actually made by
> Sony or
> > licensed from Sony? You would be surprised at the answer.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong but Canon manufactures its own sensors, Kodak
> does it own, Olympus 4/3rd is powered by Kodak, Panasonic does it own
> and Fuji does it own. Yes, Nikon uses Sony CCDs.
>
> - Siddhartha

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Canon may use some Sony or other
sensors in some of their point and shoot compacts. I believe Nikon jointly
developed the JFET LBCAST sensor with another company (Sony?).
John
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 11:18:31 AM

"MarkĀ²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
> According to
> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/12/16/digital.camera...
> Canon sales were number one in 2004:
>
> "The top five worldwide market leaders in digital camera sales in 2004
are,
> in rank order, Canon Inc., Sony Corp., Olympus Corp., Eastman Kodak Co.
and
> Fuji Photo Film Co., the firm said."

What a poor job of reporting: The article doesn't say whether its "market
leader" criterion applies to dollars earned or units sold. If it's just
units sold, then the statitistic is skewed to favor those companies who
produce mass-market, low-priced, technology-lagging cameras and thus says
nothing about the industry or its trends. Indeed, in a recent article a
Kodak spokesman announced that its company waits to see if a market is going
to develop before jumping in. That's not the sort of innovation which
drives the industry.

I suspect it's merely units sold, since Nikon wasn't in the list.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 3:28:52 PM

Paul H. wrote:
> What a poor job of reporting: The article doesn't say whether its
"market
> leader" criterion applies to dollars earned or units sold. If it's
just
> units sold, then the statitistic is skewed to favor those companies
who
> produce mass-market, low-priced, technology-lagging cameras and thus
says
> nothing about the industry or its trends. Indeed, in a recent
article a
> Kodak spokesman announced that its company waits to see if a market
is going
> to develop before jumping in. That's not the sort of innovation
which
> drives the industry.
>
> I suspect it's merely units sold, since Nikon wasn't in the list.

Also, I wonder if they counted the number or value of phone cameras
sold. Now, THAT would've been interesting.

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 9:26:48 PM

In article <sZKdnROgIMBWNFjcRVn-hQ@comcast.com>,
xxpaulhtck@zzcomcast.yycom says...
> I suspect it's merely units sold, since Nikon wasn't in the list.

They sure sold a ton of D70s. You'd at least think that would help get
them in the top 5.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
December 19, 2004 11:11:33 PM

Brian C. Baird <nospam@please.no> wrote in

> In article <sZKdnROgIMBWNFjcRVn-hQ@comcast.com>,
> xxpaulhtck@zzcomcast.yycom says...
>> I suspect it's merely units sold, since Nikon wasn't in the list.
>
> They sure sold a ton of D70s. You'd at least think that would help get
> them in the top 5.

No, I wouldn't think that.

I think that the sales of D-SLRs make up a very small percentage of digital
camera sales (something like 1%?) so D70 sales would offer very little in
terms of units sold, and not all that much in terms of dollars.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)