Hi anybody notice that ATI Catalyst10.5 still sucks

nobodyimportant99

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Hello,well Catalyst 10.5 is good for directx 10 and 10.1 but still really slow in unigine heaven benchmark useing derectx11 and I have issues with micro twiching and flashing and horizontal lines in unigine heaven and tropics benchmarks as well as the last remnant benchmark in november when I ran last remnant benchmark and there was no problem with it and I was useing Catalyst 9.10 and was getting 120fps and with every driver since then it crashes and if I can get it to run now with Catalyst 10.5 I only get 21fps and when I got it to run on Catalyst 10.4 I was only getting 27fps that is if it does not crash I want to know why directx9 games have a lot of troubles running on 2 sapphire HD5870 in crossfire mode and in single mode as well I also have friends that have other HD5**** series cards and the perfomance of directx9 games are so bad and why does it seem to be really slow on directx11 as well. oh well atleast this Catalyst 10.5 has decent derectx10-10.1 but the problem with display drivers stoped responding and grey screen of death and black screen of death which people call GSOD or BSOD which locks up and freezes the computer to the point of useing your power button to restart the computer was not fix and it seems to do with directx9 games the most please fix this its been a problem for 6 months now and I am tired of watching my computer crash more than I am playing games.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Did it ever occur to you that it may be a driver installation problem? Download driver sweeper and delete all your ATI graphics drivers. Then run driver sweeper and get rid of all the remaining files. Reboot and install the new drivers.

Honestly, you are alone, my friend plays The Last Remnant all the time and gets playable framerates from a 5850, though the framerates aren't as high as on my system with dual 8800 GTS 512mbs, but we have the same eye candy and both are playable. How do I know this? I bought him the game after I installed my copy to see how it plays since the Last Remnant is notorious for poor optimization for ATI. He is using the 10.4 driver release as far as I know, though he may have gone to 10.5.

notty22

Distinguished
ATI Grey Screen of Death fix coming soon
http://www.semiaccurate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1469
Discussed here, one of your cards is probably , rma material. imho, seems the problem is part hardware, part bios/driver voltage settings/timings execution. Through variance's in hardware some cards just bork out. Its similar to why one card might run hotter/colder than others, but in this case manifests itself through display corruption.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
ATI will not put this coment on there website and every time I try to add any coment to the blogs or forums on ATI/AMD web sites they delete them mmmmmm wonder why even when I posted this coment under Catalst 10.5 it does not even show up it is like I did not even put anything on there blog or forum. I want to ask tomshardware to find out why ATI is having so much trounbles with the hd5**** series cards and the drivers please a lot of people on the internet that own ATI's HD5**** series cards want answers to there problems but ATI will not address the issues listed above and they try to silence anyone who asks or coments on theese problems so please tomshardware help out your fans.
Did it ever occur to you that AMD may not have "put this on their website" because you used four punctuation marks in both of your posts?

Run DriverSweeper like AMW said and post back.

Also, like notty said, it just happens with some cards. There is no way to make every chip 100% perfect 100% of the time.

And why do you care about what benchmarks say? If it performs in the games you play (not just the benchmark), then don't worry about it. It could be a problem with your installation, your version of DirectX, etc.

nobodyimportant99

Distinguished
May 26, 2010

Look body I have been building and fixing computers for 19 years now and I have gone through and done everything how do you think I know all about what drivers perform well and I can tell you if you do a fresh install and try the Catalyst 9.10 drivers run the last remnant benchmark and then reformat your computer and install Catalyst 9.11 and then run last remnant benchmark and keep on doing this with every Catalyst version I can tell you with every version you see a steady decrease in perfomance with the HD5**** series cards and directx9 games if you can get them to work without crashing they are slower then they should be and glitch out a lot unless you use Catalyst 9.10 that so far seems to be the only stable driver for directx9 and if you want directx10-10.1 to run good Catalyst 10.5 is good well that is for the HD5870 cards

nobodyimportant99

Distinguished
May 26, 2010

I have done that more then 6 times and so did everybody out there in the forums and geuss what it does not work to RMA your card because it is a driver issue with some hardware combinations and I also have been reading a lot of forums to find a solution to my problems and I can tell you it is not only with the HD5*** cards theese problems are from HD2*** series cards to HD5*** cards like I said it is a driver issue with some hardware configurations next person.

AMW1011

Distinguished
You can barely speak english, and not in a way that suggests you be bilingual. You say you've been working with computers for 19 years, but your grammar and spelling suggest that you have not lived for 19 years, let alone worked with computers that long.

Also there isn't a person on earth with the patience to RMA a card 6 times.

You seem to overlook that I know for a fact that it is possible to get better framerates with a single 5850 than your dual 5870s.

nobodyimportant99

Distinguished
May 26, 2010

I have fixed my problem and if you want to know how I did just look for a new post I made under video cards called Qeustions about GSOD grey screen of death and video display driver sto

brokenlink

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
fresh install of drivers may work for some......

but at what point does it get lame when you pay $500 for a card and your're trying to play a game that came out last
year and your PC keeps freezing up....

I for one have tried 3 different drivers and still got the GSOD.....it's really disheartening for some..myself included.

el oh el..... I was playing MW2 with no problems on an AMD FX-63 with an ATI 3850 AGP card....then I get all bleeding edge parts and ummm....I'm RMAing a part thats the equivalent price of a 42" HDTV :whistle: