How to set up a dual raid system

in-motion

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Hello everyone,

I am building a new workstation to replace my 8 year old SGI. The new machine must be able to crunch video and images at lightning speed.
My present system is killing me as I have to wait hr's for it to batch process & render.

I use Adobe Premier Pro, CS5, Photoshop, Capture One and Media Pro as my database.

Before I get too involved in all the parts, I need to select the correct CPU.

I want to go for a dual configuration and I was looking at the following processors,

Dual CPU Intel Xeon E5-2630 Sandy Bridge-EP 2.3GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Boost) 15MB L3 Cache LGA 2011 95W Six-Core Server Processor BX80621E52630

Dual CPU Intel Xeon E5-2650 Sandy Bridge-EP 2.0GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Boost) 20MB L3 Cache LGA 2011 95W 8-Core Server Processor BX80621E52650

Dual CPU AMD Opteron 6274 Interlagos 2.2GHz 16MB L3 Cache Socket G34 115W 16-Core Server Processor OS6274WKTGGGUWOF

Dual CPU AMD Opteron 6220 Interlagos 3.0GHz 16MB L3 Cache Socket G34 115W 8-Core Server Processor OS6220WKT8GGUWOF

Feel free to recommend any processor that's not listed above.

My system will look as follows to give you an idea of what I want to archive.

C Drive - 250GB SSD
Scratch Drive - 250GB SSD
Memory- 64GB Min
Video - NVidia 580GTX, Quadro 6000, AMD 5870 ( These are the recommended cards from Capture One, Card must support OpenCL )

Raid - I want to set up 2 x 6TB raid 5/6 arrays.
The second raid set needs to mirror the first as a backup if its possible. Sounds like overkill, but its my total income stream, loose data - loose income.
As its running my database with Media Pro, it does not need to run at lightning speed.

Tricky Bit: As I spend a great amount of time on the road, I need to have access to the database via the web. Any thoughts on how to archive this !!!
My system is powered on 24/7 and I have an unlimited broadband account.

My budget for this build is up to $10K, don't want to spend that much, but I need a fast reliable system.

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

George

Solution
i think you should look into a rack mount server and a rack mount storage device. most smb unit from emc/dell have fiber cards or high end ethernet connection to connect the storage unit to your server. with the right software and hardware your server should not see the data server or slow down as the data server back up your work as your working on it. there a lot of remote software some for smb like go to my pc. or pc anywhere.
i think you should look into a rack mount server and a rack mount storage device. most smb unit from emc/dell have fiber cards or high end ethernet connection to connect the storage unit to your server. with the right software and hardware your server should not see the data server or slow down as the data server back up your work as your working on it. there a lot of remote software some for smb like go to my pc. or pc anywhere.

Solution