Screen resolution setting for widescreen only sometimes available on my PC

Cornfused

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Hello,
What is the proper procedure to consistently be able to set my computer to the correct wide-screen display resolution?

I connected my laptop to my HDTV and tried to adjust the screen resolution on the laptop so it fills the TV screen. Only SOMETIMES does it give me an option for 1360 x 768, and otherwise usually it only gives 2 options (800 x 600, and 1024 x 760). Only rarely does it give me the 3rd option of 1360 x 768.

I can't figure out when/how to get it to allow the 1360 x 768 setting. It seems slightly random, after I switch back and forth between the 2 screens (using Fn-F4) many times, and sometimes it never gives me more than the 2 lower-resolution options. I have also tried setting up the cable connection and resetting the TV and PC in a variety of different sequences, but haven't figured out when it works vs. not.

Please note: I am not computer-savvy, so I won't mind responses that are in a layperson's English! I searched on the website already, but unfortunately did not understand some of the more technical explanations.

If this is relevant, my PC's graphics card is ATI Mobility Radeon 9600. My TV is a Sony Bravia. I'm using a VGA cable.

Thank you!

Cornfused

Distinguished
May 26, 2010

No, it is an older laptop and only has a VGA port.

The laptop is an Emachines M6805, running Windows XP home (with Service Pack 1... I have never been able to install SP 2 without having the computer crash).

The TV is a Sony Bravia.

Cornfused

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
I have sort of figured it out, or at least have found a way to be able to switch to the correct resolution: I have to restart the computer while having the TV on. After the restart, the computer seems to know which resolutions to offer. A little bit time-consuming to have to restart, but not too bad.