Sign in with
Your question

1,150USD Build (First Build!)

Last response: in Systems
July 5, 2010 1:08:34 AM

I've been researching parts for about 4-5 months, and here's what i've decided on:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Either Tomorrow, or next week. 100% within the month.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg (Only for Mobo, Ram, GPU, and CPU), Amazon, Tiger Direct, and ZipZoomFly

Newegg charges me TAX, so if you find a combo deal, most likely the money i would be save would just be spend in tax.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I've wanted water cooling since i was a kid, so a Corsiar H50 is kinda my dream piece of equipment.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe..

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

So, my first build. The biggest problem right now is that I have my heart set on a few parts, and i'm not so willing to change to save money. But, i figured I would run everything by you guys first, Just in case.

Phenom X4 955

G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1333 (I was going to get the Ripjaw, but that set is on the compatibility list and as far as I know, they're like... The same thing.)

Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4

Cooler master Storm Scout

Corsair H50

Corsair 650TX or 750TX (See below)

Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB

Some DVD Drive I have laying around

Windows 7 64bit OEM Edition

Ok, for the Graphics card i'm stuck between the 5850 and the 470. Keep your benchies to yourself, i've seen them all including the new ones from hardware cankus.

So, my biggest question is how long will the GTX 470 last me? Because i plan to build a new system after my Juinor Year of college, so this thing really only has to be future-resistant for about two years. Is it worth going with the weaker 5850, planning to crossfire in the next 2 years, or will the 470 hold me over just fine? I mean, it's a 300+ dollar card, so I would hope so...

Also, I don't want to rely on modified drivers to run SLI, because I feel that's like relying on unlocking a processor. And, If i can plan now, I can save money by just keeping the 650W to run a single GTX470 instead of being forced to bump up to the 750W and hope that I can SLI in the future.

Also, noise is kkkiinnnddaa an issue, but heat more so. Will my poor Storm Scout be able to keep up? The H50 takes up the space where the back fan would go, so i just figured that i would move that fan over for VGA cooling, or just use the one that comes with the H50 for VGA cooling, either or.

What do you guys thing? And remember, I CAN NOT rely on combo deals and such to save money because of Tax. Also, I don't want to save money by getting some Rosewill Case and such just so i can keep it under 1,000. I want good parts, and I want them to last.

More about : 150usd build build

July 5, 2010 1:55:44 AM

If the noise/heat is an issue get a HD 5xxx. Within 2 years you will likely want a new CPU/mobo more CPUs and sockets are scheduled to show up both for Intel and AMD.

So, I would forget about SLI/crossfire and get a cheaper mobo and a video card that will last 2 years and that could be a HD 5870, here's a cheaper one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

With your parts (newegg prices) except for the cheaper mobo (GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H) and the CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX the total is 1,083.92 without the HSF.
m
l
July 5, 2010 2:02:44 AM

Yea, the thing is that i saw the benchies where the 470 out performed the 5870, and if that's the case the why spend the extra money?

I would be willing to put up with the heat and sound for that kinda value. I thought about finding A cheaper motherboard, i'll look into that. I would like to stay Gigabyte unless you guys can convince me that Asus is O.K :p 
m
l
!