Sign in with
Your question
Solved

The Best SSD's To RAID

Last response: in Storage
September 1, 2012 1:35:18 AM

I am wanting to setup a raid 0 with 2 or 4 SSD's. I have been trying to research which SSD's would be best to raid together without losing performance capabilities. I am fairly new to SSD's but i have done a bit of research on them and i currently have my operating system installed on one. I am using the 90GB Corsair Force Series GT. I do not want to go back to HDD's. I have read that seting up raid with SSD's will cause them to lose the TRIM capability? I am not sure if they have come up with new SSD's that can support TRIM and be able to RAID? If anyone can help me out i would appreciate it greatly. I am not to worried about price. I just want to do my research before spending the money. I am wanting to put either 120 GB or 240 GB SSD's. Also would it be better to setup the raid with a raid card or is my motherboard enough? Or will a raid card make it perform better and faster?

My Setup:
-ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX
-AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor
-CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
-EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
-MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
-Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
-Antec DF-85 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

More about : ssd raid

a c 88 G Storage
September 1, 2012 1:43:50 AM

None. your chipset doesn't support TRIM when the SSDs are put in RAID. The only chipset that supports that right now is the Intel 7 series with the new 11.5 drivers.

Without TRIM support you will lose a great deal of write performance as the drives fill up
m
l
a b G Storage
September 1, 2012 1:52:50 AM

As pinhedd said that it not possible for do RAID on that mobo right now.... (doesn't know about the future thought)
m
l
Related resources
September 1, 2012 2:06:16 AM

I agree with Pinhedd. Your performance won't make hardly any difference at all with a raid setup and without TRIM there's absolutely no point at all to RAID 0. You'll get way more benefits getting a 256GB drive or 512GB drive depending on your budget.
m
l
September 1, 2012 4:27:32 AM

You mean that i can't setup up RAID with SSD's? Or at all? Because i know the motherboard is RAID compatible. I havent tested it with SSD's but i know it could be setup in RAID with HDD's. Pinhedd, are you saying that my motherboard doesnt support TRIM on SSD's at all or only if setup in RAID? If i wont be able to have TRIM then i will probably just get a single SSD like you said mark4685. Do you guys know if it would be worth setting up a second SSD just for cache? I have seen reviews and videos about using another SSD as a cache for your main drive. I dont really know the pro or cons and if it possible with my setup either. Once again i appreciate your help
m
l

Best solution

a c 88 G Storage
September 1, 2012 4:37:14 AM

RomanianBarbarian said:
You mean that i can't setup up RAID with SSD's? Or at all? Because i know the motherboard is RAID compatible. I havent tested it with SSD's but i know it could be setup in RAID with HDD's. Pinhedd, are you saying that my motherboard doesnt support TRIM on SSD's at all or only if setup in RAID? If i wont be able to have TRIM then i will probably just get a single SSD like you said mark4685. Do you guys know if it would be worth setting up a second SSD just for cache? I have seen reviews and videos about using another SSD as a cache for your main drive. I dont really know the pro or cons and if it possible with my setup either. Once again i appreciate your help

Your motherboard supports SSDs, it supports RAID, and it supports TRIM, but it does not support TRIM on SSDs that are in RAID. (See what I did there? Okay good, just making sure). You can have two SSDs and even put them in RAID but over time your write performance will degrade significantly due to a lack of TRIM and the resulting write amplification will physically degrade the storage medium faster than it would with TRIM support. The only way to properly recover performance from SSDs that have had their write performance diminished is to physically reset them using the ATA SECURE_ERASE command, which erases everything on the disk.

What I recommend is having one SSD for your system and core applications, and a platter disk for everything else. You will not notice a difference in performance if the video that you're watching is on an SSD as opposed to a platter drive but you will notice a difference in a game that streams textures and will definitely notice a difference in general usage.

If you can afford a second SSD then you can always install it as a second volume, just not in RAID.

SSDs are fast enough that there's literally no observable difference between SSDs in RAID and SSDs not in RAID.
a b G Storage
September 1, 2012 5:23:31 AM

If the SSD is a warehouse, Trim is the janitor that clean out the trash/junk, without trim the warehouse cannot clean it self, and will eventually became full and need to be re hauled. The only chipset that enables raid and trim together is intel new gen one (I heard)...
m
l
a c 88 G Storage
September 1, 2012 2:08:17 PM

rdc85 said:
If the SSD is a warehouse, Trim is the janitor that clean out the trash/junk, without trim the warehouse cannot clean it self, and will eventually became full and need to be re hauled. The only chipset that enables raid and trim together is intel new gen one (I heard)...

Close. Garbage collection would be the janitor, that's not exclusively dependent on the file system as the SSD is able to know that some pages/blocks are junk. TRIM is the foreman who says "that's junk... that's junk... that's cool, keep that... that's junk"
m
l
a b G Storage
September 1, 2012 2:17:45 PM

Pinhedd said:
...."that's junk... that's junk... that's cool, keep that... that's junk"...
It remind me of my bos, LOL.... :lol: 

ehmm, now back to topic.. The conclusion don't do SSD raid on that mobo...

m
l
September 2, 2012 11:27:06 PM

I appreciate all of your input. It has really helped me out. Im glad i seeked out knowledge before spending money on SSD"s. I will probably just get me between a 240 to 512 GB and if needed i will get me another and just have it as a second volume like you said pinhedd. I have only used Corsairs SSD's and i really do like it but i would like you opinions on which brand is the best SSD for gaming and software usage? I need something that can handle the top games and CAD programs. I work with AutoCAD 2D and 3D and with Photoshop. I know probably any would work but id like the best for my money. So i would like your guys opinions. I know i will need to get a better video card too. I am upset with it. I dont know if it is causing it but when i am watching videos online the videos glitch from time to time and its really anoying. The only thing i can think of is it is the video card but if any of you know what else it could be i would like your input on that too. I will prbably post another fourm since this one is for SSD's
m
l
a c 88 G Storage
September 2, 2012 11:37:22 PM

RomanianBarbarian said:
I appreciate all of your input. It has really helped me out. Im glad i seeked out knowledge before spending money on SSD"s. I will probably just get me between a 240 to 512 GB and if needed i will get me another and just have it as a second volume like you said pinhedd. I have only used Corsairs SSD's and i really do like it but i would like you opinions on which brand is the best SSD for gaming and software usage? I need something that can handle the top games and CAD programs. I work with AutoCAD 2D and 3D and with Photoshop. I know probably any would work but id like the best for my money. So i would like your guys opinions. I know i will need to get a better video card too. I am upset with it. I dont know if it is causing it but when i am watching videos online the videos glitch from time to time and its really anoying. The only thing i can think of is it is the video card but if any of you know what else it could be i would like your input on that too. I will prbably post another fourm since this one is for SSD's

Toms Hardware posts a monthly/semi-monthly article on the best SSDs for the money and the best graphics cards for the money. As far as SSD performance goes, all SSDs will far outperform even the fastest platter drives. The Samsung 830 is very well regarded, as is the OCZ Vertex 4. The Mushkin Chronos lineup usually offers the best GB/$ ratio, performs as well as anything else at the high end, and comes with Mushkin's stellar warranty as long as you're in North America. I personally recommend the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe as I have 4 of them over 3 different PCs, they're very good.
m
l
October 13, 2012 10:57:50 PM

Best answer selected by RomanianBarbarian.
m
l
October 14, 2012 8:05:49 PM

For the record, my sequential read/write went from ~375/180mbps with an Intel 520 180gb OS disk to ~650/350mbps with a RAID 0 of 120gb Intel 520 + 120gb Kingston HyperX 3k. It levelled there after initially being over 700/400mbps read/write. 4k times are about 33% faster as well......
m
l
a c 88 G Storage
October 14, 2012 8:36:36 PM

ocmusicjunkie said:
For the record, my sequential read/write went from ~375/180mbps with an Intel 520 180gb OS disk to ~650/350mbps with a RAID 0 of 120gb Intel 520 + 120gb Kingston HyperX 3k. It levelled there after initially being over 700/400mbps read/write. 4k times are about 33% faster as well......

If you do not have a 7 series chipset (excluding X79) then your write speeds will diminish over time due to a lack of TRIM support
m
l
October 14, 2012 10:31:09 PM

RB - just get one decent SSD, don't bother raiding them....

I know they're old hardware now, but my old setup was 2 x Vertex 2E's RAID0'd and there was a significant real-world improvement when I went to a single SSD (120Gb Crucial M4)... synthetic benchmark was nearly 3 x the throughput and massively improved latency too... overhead of RAID0 seemed to be losing a big chunk of the benefit of the SSD (low seek times / latency).
m
l
October 14, 2012 11:34:25 PM

Pinhedd said:
If you do not have a 7 series chipset (excluding X79) then your write speeds will diminish over time due to a lack of TRIM support

I don't want to be argumentative, but once the disk has been written over fully, it can't really get *more* weighed down. TRIM was never implemented in early solid state storage like the Apple notebooks and it didn't just keep degrading to zero. Free space cleaner once in a while does get closer to fresh drive speed though.

I guess to me, unless I drop below the speed of a non-RAID configuration, it's still a win.
m
l
a c 88 G Storage
October 15, 2012 12:06:40 AM

ocmusicjunkie said:
I don't want to be argumentative, but once the disk has been written over fully, it can't really get *more* weighed down. TRIM was never implemented in early solid state storage like the Apple notebooks and it didn't just keep degrading to zero. Free space cleaner once in a while does get closer to fresh drive speed though.

I guess to me, unless I drop below the speed of a non-RAID configuration, it's still a win.

Most free space cleaners just zero out the data of non-allocated filesystem blocks. The SSD cannot tell the difference between a filesystem allocated block that contains a legitimate sequence of zeroes and a filesystem block that is unallocated and has simply been zeroed out. Thus, neither FS block is likely to be cleaned up during garbage collection. Thus, the SSD is stuck erasing, caching, modifying, and rewriting entire physical blocks (usually 512KiB) in order to write one single page (4KiB). With TRIM the SSD can be informed when a filesystem block is deallocated and thus the associated page will not be reallocated next time the garbage collection routine is run. Without this mechanism the SSD will fill up and get bogged down as you described, but it will also degrade much faster due to an entire block having to be erased every time a page needs to be written.
m
l
!