Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Small Gaming Rig with BDdrive

Last response: in Systems
July 5, 2010 3:12:39 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: After Christmas 2010.... around there "+/-" few weeks.

BUDGET RANGE: $1200~1500~Unknown

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming ( Diablo3 ) and movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: sound,keyboard,mouse (i never turn away 2 cents :)  )

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.ca, Ebay.ca local retailers such as Staples, future shop (preferably Canadian customs friendly)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Northern Ontario, Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: Amd seems to offer good pricing, i can be persuade....

OVERCLOCKING: Nope

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: nope

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080, might go higher later this year.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I will be ordering the components in pieces after august, hopefully in October. I usually don't mind spending a little extra on quality that lasts.. Probably going to get a projector for Movie Nights in the future. Really appreciate any constructive criticism, will be my first "full" build.

Motherboard: MSI GXM890-G65

Processor: Phenom 2 x6 1090T Black Edition Thuban

Case: Thermaltake VF1000BWS Lanbox

ODD: Samsung SH-B123 ( Not yet released )

RAM: G.SKILL F3-12800CL7Q-8GBECO

Graphics Card: Radeon HD5850

Power Supply: thermaltake 650w #W0104

Storage: Intel X25-M

Thats all i got so far. I figure i have time for new shipments and reviews to look over, especially that ODD.

P.s i have tried to read as much literature i can get a hold of as far as compatibility is concerned, and this is where the helpful folks at TomsHardware comes in :-)
My first post, hope the link formating was done correctly.

Thanks for taking a moment, or several, to critique and suggest.

Very much appreciated.
July 5, 2010 5:17:27 AM

Actually i do up more LANparty gaming/SFF rigs these days so my $0.02

1. Multi GPU sounds great on paper but in the confined spaces of a gaming cube/shoebox/SFF case i would not recommend it

2. Consider just the one beefy HD 5870?

3. Consider toning down to an 880G like
Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H
890GXM MSI is fine if u planning to CF else why pay the premium hehe

4. For mainly gaming perhaps 95W TDP 945 or 955BE perhaps?

5. You may want to consider Modular 80+ PSUs as these make cable management easier, resulting in better airflow

m
l
July 5, 2010 6:52:50 PM

Well, i cant argue with that Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H, ill be utilizing that as of now for my build. :D  890gx and 880g comparison

However that 945BE has me snooping around, be it a good processor especially for that price. I will fallow suit with the quad core category but beef up to a

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

I also appreciate that modular psu suggestion, did some digging on Newegg.ca and found this: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600

As for the GPU..... my downfall is when Reviewers show other cards that are ranked higher in the same test bed for comparison sake.. although for me i only see the better performance numbers and decide to go with what ever is above that of what I am looking into. I put my foot down on the 5850, now that you have suggested its bigger brother ill most likely go with it :D , My Achilles heel so do speak.....

Thinking i may need a cpu cooler/paste if i intend on going with that 965BE, my next mission! ( something silent running ) dose not seem to end even after figuring out the setup.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 9, 2010 12:35:49 PM

Yep about the GPU choice: our own forums "Best GPU for the money month X" articles may show GPU hierachy charts but remember scour as many reviews from respectable h/w sites and learn that in actual buying decisions variables like

a. Idle/load temps
b. Idle load noise in dB
c. Temps at idel/load
d. Retail price

all come into play which hierachy charts may almost always omit ^^ As for HSF, in cubes/SFF i found the Cooler Master GeminiSII a very good low profile cooler hehe
July 16, 2010 2:20:15 PM

Best answer selected by Dylan D.
m
l
July 16, 2010 2:24:57 PM

oups, i wanted to select the first reply as the best answer, both replies are worthy of the best pick :??:  a well... first time i have used the pick best answer button.

Still appreciate the responses. Also the build is not technically finished until that BDdrive from samsung is released and run through its passes before i make the final verdict. however ill probably use the advice about the Gpu selection to guide my decision on the ODD ( load noise, temps, cost...ect )

For though's it may concern this is the updated information:

Motherboard: 880GMA-UD2H

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

Power Supply: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Gemini 2 S

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5

Ram: G.SKILL F3-12800CL7Q-8GBECO

Storage: Intel X25-M

Graphics Card: Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5870

ODD: Samsung SH-B123 ( still waiting )

Case/Chassis: Thermaltake VF1000BWS Lanbox

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium ( hope it works, if not, it gets the DUAL BOOTS!! haha )

Total: $1615.41 @ newegg.ca
(Price may fluctuate)

Hope this post helps others as much as it has helped me. ;) 

m
l
!