Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a quiet GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 27, 2010 5:09:39 AM

There are a few fanless dealies on Newegg, but I'm not convinced they are the way to go and they only allow me to search fan/fanless.

I am building a new system probably based on this cpu/mobo http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Item...

I want an nvidia card bc of its CUDA stuff and winningness at adobe premiere (this is a heavy multimedia PC)

I'm not super worried about gaming, but it's definitely something I want it to be good at, and I'm also intending on running multiple monitors (at least 2).

any cards out there that run pretty quiet? i looked at this one, but not sure what to make of it.

More about : quiet gpu

May 27, 2010 7:03:06 AM

you will be better off with this one although it is power color:-

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Any way what is your budget??

This is way better then the card you listed.

It also has eyefinity so you can do 3 monitors as a single WIDESCREEN display

On the other hand, If you insist on nvidia then the 9800GT is the best out there for Fanless. Be sure that you have a spacious case and a strong power supply though (650 WATTS or so) because this Nvidia card is not at all an efficient card and it requires a lot of power
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
May 27, 2010 8:53:20 AM

I think you need to decide what it is you actually need it to do, Its pointless getting a nice quiet card that doesn't do all you want it to do. There are some really quite good quiet cards out there but most cards will make a fair noise if you run them at full tilt.
As said budget is important as is your main use as i already said. The rig looks like its set up for graphics work possably ? but you want to game on it between times is that about right ?

If its not top top notch gaming you are after then one of the older 2 series Nvidia cards with a non referance cooler is probably your best bet.

Mactronix
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2010 11:35:53 AM

+1 ^
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
May 27, 2010 2:55:46 PM

ahmadumair said:
Be sure that you have a spacious case and a strong power supply though (650 WATTS or so) because this Nvidia card is not at all an efficient card and it requires a lot of power

Cobblers!, the 9800GT uses about 115w or so and can be run on a medium quality 500w PSU easily, as a pair of 8800GT's (which are pretty much the same thing) in SLi run quite happily on a 620 or 650w.
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
May 27, 2010 3:39:42 PM

Yes i agree that post is incorrect most erroneous :lol: 

Mactronix
m
l
May 27, 2010 3:46:19 PM

Thanks for the comments!
Aye sorry forgot budget.. I'm looking to spend around $150 on the GPU, less if possible. This is mostly for intense Photoshop and web developing with some video editing and as well (and audio editing, which is why I'm aiming to quiet the system down). And I also would like to play great looking games as well, but it's not the main priority. I've been reading that Nvidia is the way to go for video because of its CUDA support which offers among other things the mercury playback in premiere which i'll be getting at some point. This is annoying to me because everything else makes me want to choose ATi
m
l
May 27, 2010 4:57:31 PM

sorry my bad. I was referrring to 9800 GX2
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
May 27, 2010 5:15:07 PM

Dont know much about photoshop etc but i found this

That benefit goes only so far, though: Adobe has qualified just five graphics cards for use with Premiere Pro--all of which use nVidia's CUDA technology. Four of the cards are Quadro workstation cards, ranging in cost from roughly $800 to more than $2000; the sole desktop card so far is the GTX 285, which sells for about $400. Only the GTX 285 and one of the Quadros will work in a Mac. SLI configurations aren't supported.

Adobe says it will also support new cards from nVidia's Fermi line, such as the GTX 470 and GTX 480, which are supposed to be available this month. Unfortunately, while those cards are coming out soon, Premiere won't gain GPU-acceleration support for the GTX480 until the third quarter of this year, and Adobe hasn't said anything yet about the GTX 470.

The nvidia site only lists the Quadro's

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/503326/review/pr...

Mactronix
m
l
May 28, 2010 5:06:48 AM

Yeah that sort of behaviour bugs me anyway... trying to force me to get and nvidiacard.. i think i'll just go with ati.. that powercolor one looks really nice. quiet and multimonitor ready.. nice!
m
l
!