Sign in with
Your question

Does a ssd have to be babied?

Last response: in Storage
September 1, 2012 4:27:57 AM

I was thinking just using a ssd as the main and only drive in a new build.

But the more I read it sounds like these things need to be coddled. For instance the main thing that seems to come up is writes.

I never even considered it before. Always more worried about something inside the HDD going ping. But reading into the SSD's it's recommended turning off various things, not running other things, to ensure the SSD works to the best of it's abilities and lives long enough.

Exactly whats the life expectancy on these things? I figured it would live for 7 years or so with no moving parts making everything go to hell inside. But it seems more like these things really aren't meant to be an only drive from what I read here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270102-32-useful-arti... and other sites.

Maybe it's just me over guessing everything. Is it fine to use a SSD as the only drive in a desktop? Using it for day to day uses like, web browsing, gaming wise downloading updates, downloading songs here and there, a movie or 2, holding the OS with it's updates?

Or would it just die? I figured a 250gb SSD would house everything fine I needed. I'd prolly only ever have 100 gigs used. They can be bought for about 180 to 200 bucks on newegg.

Sure I could get a HDD (figure like $90 they cost for 500 or 1tb) and then a SSD for some programs and the os assuming everything set up fine but I just like 1 drive in there.

More about : ssd babied

a b G Storage
September 1, 2012 8:53:31 AM

Think of it like this: Your cellphone uses solid state memory. A cellphone should be able to take tumble to the ground but not thrown.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 1, 2012 9:24:59 AM

Don't worry! - the very significant benefits you'll realise when you first start to use the PC housing your SSD will very, very quickly wipe away any doubts :)  250GB is a very nice size (judging by your needs) and will give you a nice headroom above your projected 100GB useage (but don't fill it to the max - they need some 'free space to work best')

Like most other things, optimising is a good idea, however, if you use Wingows 7 then it's install (make sure you do a full one) will do much of this optimisation for you, then run the Windows Experience Index to automatically finish off most other optimisations. Then, take a little time to browse the SSD manufacturer's forums to gain usefull additional tips.

As usual, backup routinely - imaging software such as True Image or Ghost are excellent choices. You could use an external HDD for this task.

Come back to Tom's if you need any other help.

Have fun with your new SSD....you'll never look back.

m
l
Related resources
September 1, 2012 12:39:10 PM

well ive read alot of stuff about ssd's in about 48 hours. If and buts I think it's a worth while investment. Seems to me even with regular use, the thing will last at least 5 years. Helps that theirs also 5 year warrenties heh. That's about what id hope and pray for from a HDD.

So I do believe I'll pick one up for my new build.

The only thing is ive seen regular ssd's that look sorta like an external HDD, but as I looked further up in space from 256 gigs to 300 and more I found these SSD's that go into pci E slots? Like this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm not sure do these things process more efficiently and faster because they're plugged into the mobo then when you run a sata cable? It's a neat thing to be sure.

Anyway, some months from now i'll be building. Hopefully i'll find some kind of awesome on ssd's down the road. Maybe on black Friday when people are mowing down the elderly to get into stores.
m
l
September 1, 2012 12:46:53 PM

The expected life of a SSD from what i heard is 125 Years. I may be wrong, but i believe thats what i read somewhere. I may be wrong. :whistle: 
m
l
September 1, 2012 1:07:24 PM

What I've read on enterprise-level SSD's in IBM's literature is an estimated life of 7 to 10 years. This is roughly equivalent and possibly slightly better than the life of enterprise-level hard drives.

Unfortunately, I've not done much reading about consumer grade.
m
l
September 1, 2012 1:14:28 PM

Honestly, for general consumers SSD's will probably outlast the computer, only because we don't do a whole lot of writing to the drive in general.

The short estimates (that they give for enterprise level) assumes they are writing 500-1000GB/day to the drive
m
l
September 1, 2012 2:06:53 PM

I remember reading on toms that you'd probably wear out a 120GB SSD if you wrote 10GB per day every day for 5 years.
m
l
September 1, 2012 3:23:50 PM

I have a buddy of mine that has had 3 SSDs go out in about 2 years time from 3 different computers, 1 for his, 1 for his brother's, and 1 for his mom's computer. All pretty moderate usage as well. The only thing that they all have in common is that they're all 64gb. Each one was a different brand, Kingston, Corsair, and OCZ. He was asking me about mine since I bought mine a few months before him but I've personally have never had a problem. I have a Crucial C300 128gb and it's never given me any issues and I've had it for 2 1/2 + years. So maybe brand and size factor into play? I was a little surprised his died so soon since they're supposed to last for a long time.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 1, 2012 8:07:15 PM

I have a laptop that doesnt have a hard drive so it uses an 8GB compact flash card as a hard drive running Debian. It gets used on a daily basis as a kid's web browser. it has survived 3 children over the years. You do not have to worry about solid state memory as much as you do a hard drive. buy it, love it, and have another.
m
l
!