Sign in with
Your question

How to connect computer fans

Last response: in Components
September 2, 2010 7:33:17 AM

This is a new build (first). I have a HAF X full tower case that comes with 4 fans. 1 200mm 700rpm top fan (1 additional fan is optional), 1 200mm 700rpm side fan, 1 230mm 700rpm front panel fan, and 1 140mm 1200rpm rear fan. The rear fan has four connectors, 1 small red three pin female connector (red/black/yellow wires comming from the fan which is pre connected (as shipped condition) to a small white 2 pin male connector (red/black wires. which is connected red to yellow black to black to a large 4 pin male connector yellow/black/black/red wires which then connects to a large 4 pin female connector same color wires. The other three fans are configured the same but instead of a yellow color wire ...white is used and there is no red small connector. both small connectrs are white.
I am not sure how these fans connect to the Asus P6T motherboard which has 2 chassis fan connections in addition to the cpu fan and power fan connection
Please help me with connecting these fans to the power supply and the motherboard in the best configuration possible keeping in mind the rpm and fan size.
The power supply is a Cosair CMPSU-1000HX 1000watt

Please advise
Mike
manalom002@hawaii.rr.com

More about : connect computer fans

September 2, 2010 3:50:09 PM

The large 4 pin connectors can be connected to the power supply. You could connect two of the fans to the motherboard chassis fan connectors if the smaller connectors on the fans fit.
September 2, 2010 8:13:31 PM

Personally i prefer to connect all my case fans to the psu using the 4pin molex connectors.
Related resources
September 3, 2010 4:53:11 AM

Orac said:
The large 4 pin connectors can be connected to the power supply. You could connect two of the fans to the motherboard chassis fan connectors if the smaller connectors on the fans fit.

Thanks for the info
September 3, 2010 4:53:54 AM

davcon said:
Personally i prefer to connect all my case fans to the psu using the 4pin molex connectors.

KK thanks for the info
!