Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
I'm hoping it's not my CPU I just got from newegg. "Core 2 Quad Q9650"
My current hardware would be...

Motherboard: Gigabyte ultra durable 3 EP43-UD3L version 1.2
Video card: Geforce 8600 GT
CPU: Pentium R D 2.80ghz
Powersupply: OCZ technology 850W

I had EVGA nForce 750i SLI Motherboard but needed to update the bios, but sometime from me trying and then geek squad trying. Igot it back then it wouldnt boot.

while with the old mobo the quad CPU only went as far as reading the processor and most of the time got stuck on the memory. but did read it and knew it was change when switching the CPU's so im pretty sure the CPU is good...

With the new mobo, It just gets stuck at the boot up which is just basicly an add of the motherboard but with some options like del for setup and others but also has tab to see the normal booting up sequence.

CPU now FSB is 800, but new CPU should be at 1333... so mobo wont auto adjust for the new CPU, or i gotta get it replaced cause it was bad, or i gotta go in bios and set it

(I've been reading and thinking for a few hours as I make this post)

Yes, I doubt the CPU is bad as it is new. I do think you need to change some things in the BIOS, but it appears you can not get in the BIOS.

Its possible with this older mobo you may need to flash the BIOS. Unfortunately you would need another CPU to do this.
Do you have a friend with a dual core that you could borrow?

When you attempt to boot, do you hear any beeps as you are trying to POST?

If you still have your old CPU, then you should run your system with it and update your motherboard's BIOS to a version which will add support and compatibility for the Q9650.. You can add your new processor and run after that.. Make sure you connect all the required CPU power plugs for the quad.. I guess it requires two 4 pin power connectors..

Deblin

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

I can get into the BIOS useing the older CPU, the old mobo is messed up and doesnt boot with either CPU so it's toast,

yeah im guesing i may need to change some things in the bios but shouldn't it auto detect the new CPU to work?

Deblin

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

I looked up the BIOS what what there is, and I dont need to update it with it being EP43-UD3L F8. So it should handle the Quad as is, also the motherboard only has one 4 pin power connector.