P6X58D-E Questions

johndabeast

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I searched on google, but couldn't find out how to shut off my P6X58D-E's single "turn on" beep, it annoys me and I want it to be off. Second, I get a really long boot, because everysingle time it searches for a CD-ROM to boot off of, and it initializes a Marvell Controller, I don't even know what that's about. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Also, this is the weird thing, I had the same exact setup before this same computer, literally, SAME, but it didn't beep, and it didn't do any of the other things I mentioned. The only difference I think is the BIOS settings, but I do not know what would do all of these things. Thanks for the input though. Thanks!

Any help guys?

Solution
The Intel SATA Ports are the 'Blue' SATA connectors, the Marvell are the top Gray, and there's 4 SATA Ports that are 'side' mounted and 2 that are 'top' mounted {bottom right}. Ideally, if you're using AHCI then don't have your DVD or BR-ROM ODD in then 'side' SATA ports and instead use the top 'Blue' ports. The reason is 'some' DVD/BR can have issues with AHCI, but yours might be fine.

what is that see 3-## mean? = Manual Section Pages -> http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=gFBKfNyhppW9tDbB e.g. 2-36 is pg 56 of the PDF.

Good Luck! :sol:

single "turn on" beep, it annoys me = Kill all beeps, on the Front Panel disconnect the (4-pin SPEAKER) header, bottom right-hand corner of your MOBO. See 2-36

it searches for a CD-ROM = BIOS, change the Boot Priority to the {Primary SSD/HDD with the OS}; make the 'CD-ROM' as the second Boot device. See 3-30

initializes a Marvell Controller = BIOS, Marvell 9128 Controller [Disabled] assuming no HDD/SSD is connected. See 3-24

None of this should be a problem, on mine {I have 10 P6X58D-E} I get a single beep and a ~20 second boot off an SSD which is located on the Intel SATA post, and nothing on the Marvell. I restart my rigs about once a week or two.

Also, you can kill the Boot Flash Screens: Quick Boot [Enabled], Full Screen Logo [Disabled]. See 3-31

johndabeast

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Thank you so much, one last question, I need 4 SATA ports to be used (HDD/SDD/CDROM/Bluray) is there a way to attach all of them to a non-marvell one? Right now the HDD is connected to it. Thanks Jaquith.

Oh and what is that see 3-## mean? Thanks a lot.

The Intel SATA Ports are the 'Blue' SATA connectors, the Marvell are the top Gray, and there's 4 SATA Ports that are 'side' mounted and 2 that are 'top' mounted {bottom right}. Ideally, if you're using AHCI then don't have your DVD or BR-ROM ODD in then 'side' SATA ports and instead use the top 'Blue' ports. The reason is 'some' DVD/BR can have issues with AHCI, but yours might be fine.

what is that see 3-## mean? = Manual Section Pages -> http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=gFBKfNyhppW9tDbB e.g. 2-36 is pg 56 of the PDF.

Good Luck! :sol:

Solution
Assuming BIOS:
SATA Configuration [Enhanced]
> Configure SATA as [AHCI]
Marvell 9128 Controller [Disabled]
NOTHING attached to the 'Gray' SATA3 {Marvell} -> 'I need 4 SATA ports to be used (HDD/SDD/CDROM/Bluray)'

A Virtual Disk is a creation of Marvell RAID via Ctrl-M or App. So if you setup a RAID by mistake then you'll need to undo the RAID.

1. Put all SATA Ports 'back where they were'.
2. BIOS Load Defaults
3. Boot
4. While booting hold the 'Ctrl' and keep hitting the 'M' ; see 2-30
5. One of the options should be 'Reset Disks to Non-RAID' ; Delete the RAID.
-
OR
If you have some Marvell Application like Marvell MRU Utility then, Delete it ; see http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d975xbx2/sb/mv_raid_manual.pdf ; see 2-21

The 'problem' is that I don't know 'what' you've got installed or what you did prior to this post. If you mistakenly did some 'tweaking' then it's possible you might need to -- reformat and start from scratch. So fix the problem via a forum is a guessing game until it's clear where the problem started. Above is my best guess.

The only time this is referenced is when a RAID is/was used and has become moved or damaged.

Then that leaves errors caused from App like VMware, Parallels 'Desktop', or an 'Image' of a CD/DVD from an App like Magic ISO, Virtual CD, etc -- that has been moved or the 'short cut' {alias} no longer valid i.e. moving the ODDs {'CDROM/Bluray'}.

If that's the case you shold be able to either edit or 'find' the location(s) via the 'App' in question.

My assumption is the HDD/SSD moving broke the short-cuts; perhaps from a Drive letter change.

Method 1:
Run PowerISO.
Choose "Mount" button on toolbar.
PowerISO shows ISO Mounter menu.
Choose a virtual drive.
Select the iso file which you want to mount.
Click "OK" button to mount the iso file to the virtual drive.

Method 2:
Change the Shortcuts manually ; Right-Click on the Shortcut/Properties "E:\ISO Images\Project.ISO" =change location => "D:\ISO Images\Project.ISO"

Method 3:
Right-Click on the Shortcut/Properties Target = "E:\ISO Images\Project.ISO"
IF the location drive letter of the HDD is now 'D' BUT ALL the shortcuts are listed as 'E' ; rename HDD letter
Windows Change Drive Letter(s) {C cannot be changed}** http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-add-or-remove-a-drive-letter
** If some other Device now has 'E' you'll need to play musical drive letters.

Note: Unless you have a BUNCH of broken shortcuts then use Methods 1 or 2.

Good Luck! :)

johndabeast

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Ok thank you so much Jaquith, you helped me fix it. I want to explain what was wrong though for anyone in the future. I had a computer built from iBuyPower (failure, shouldn't have done that.) They sent me a defective unit, so I got a whole replacement one. On the replacement one, they plugged the HDD into a Marvell SATA port instead of one of the available Intel ports. I plugged it into a Intel port and it works perfectly, with a 10 second boot now. I don't know why they plugged it into a Marvell port, but now it is fast, and it is all thanks to you.

Again, I can't thank you enough.

(What is even the point of the Marvell SATA port? Why not just make them Intel's?

On the Marvell: 1. Added 2 SATA3 Ports vs 0 SATA3, 2. P6X58D-E added the more expensive Marvell 9128 that adds RAID 0/1. So you could have 2 RAID configurations running. Example RAID 0 Marvell {e.g. C300 SSD OS + Apps} + RAID 5 Intel {HDD Data}.

So if you don't have an SATA3 SSD with Read/Writes > 300 MB/s then use the Intel and Disable the Marvell.

Yep. Intel started incorporating SATA3 with the introduction of the Sandy Bridge and P67/H67 Cougar Point Chipsets. The X58 offered only SATA2, so co-chipsets like Marvell were added for SATA3 support.

P6X58D-E http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=gFBKfNyhppW9tDbB&templete=2

Intel ICH10R controller {SATA2}
6 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports
Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10
Marvell® 9128 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller (Drive Xpert Technology) {SATA3}
- 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray)