Big problem with my video card - won't turn

G

Hi,

yesterday I bought some components for a new PC. Asus Formula III Motherboard (1156), i7 860, 8 GB Ram .. 650 W PSU. I wanted to add my GTX 285 which I already had, but as I turned on the tower, everything worked except the video card, the fan won't even turn, so I think there is no power. But when I plug my GTX in my old PC, the video card simply starts working.

I inserted into a Pcie X16 Slot on the mainboard, and plugged the 2 pcie connectors from the PSU to the card. The Motherboard seems to work, because there are some LED's which are on.

Does anyone have an idea?

please help me, im getting confused, tried everything, thanks.

does anyone know whats the small "connector" on the GTX beside the 2 pcie connectors? It wasn't used in my old PC so I guess it isn't needed?

thanks in advance

Shadowsken

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
Hi,

yesterday I bought some components for a new PC. Asus Formula III Motherboard (1156), i7 860, 8 GB Ram .. 650 W PSU. I wanted to add my GTX 285 which I already had, but as I turned on the tower, everything worked except the video card, the fan won't even turn, so I think there is no power. But when I plug my GTX in my old PC, the video card simply starts working.

I inserted into a Pcie X16 Slot on the mainboard, and plugged the 2 pcie connectors from the PSU to the card. The Motherboard seems to work, because there are some LED's which are on.

Does anyone have an idea?

please help me, im getting confused, tried everything, thanks.

does anyone know whats the small "connector" on the GTX beside the 2 pcie connectors? It wasn't used in my old PC so I guess it isn't needed?

thanks in advance

Hi, lets start with that small connector beside the power couplings. Its a S/PDIF port for outputting digital sound rather than analogue out of the coloured 3.5mm jack. There should be a socket on the back of your motherboard, unless it isn't supported. As for the main problem with the graphics power, what PSU do you have? Are both power connector coming from the same cable? If so there is a high likelyhood that the PSU cannot output enough Amps on that rail to support the card.