PCI Express confusion

Colerton

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Ok so not to long ago I was told I could only use certain video cards because I did not have the right Express PCI thing. Now I'm not so sure.
This is the link to exactly what I have. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229159
Now This part:
Graphics
GPU/VPU Type: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
Graphics Interface: PCI Express 2.0 x16

That means I have a 2.0 x16 right?
And if so, what is the difference between that and a 2.1 x16, and can I a video card that uses the 2.1 x16

(Sorry if this was a repost, I can't seem to find the right information on this stuff)

Thanks in advance

Solution
Well, PCI-e 2.0 just supports double the bandwidth of PCI-e 1.1. A PCI-e 2.0 card will work in a PCI-e 1.1 slot, and vice versa (IIRC). It does not matter whether your graphic card has PCI-e 2.0 if you wish to upgrade the graphics of your computer, it is more important that your motherboard has such a slot.

In the specifications of your computer, it said that your motherboard was based on the AMD 780G chipset which provides a PCI-e 2.0 16x lane, and thus your motherboard has a PCI-e 2.0 16x lane. You can use a PCI-e 2.1 16x card if you would like to in a PCI-e 2.0 lane, however, I believe it is limited to PCI-e 2.0 features, although really PCI-e 2.1 doesn't seem to offer many new benefits at all.

Well, PCI-e 2.0 just supports double the bandwidth of PCI-e 1.1. A PCI-e 2.0 card will work in a PCI-e 1.1 slot, and vice versa (IIRC). It does not matter whether your graphic card has PCI-e 2.0 if you wish to upgrade the graphics of your computer, it is more important that your motherboard has such a slot.

In the specifications of your computer, it said that your motherboard was based on the AMD 780G chipset which provides a PCI-e 2.0 16x lane, and thus your motherboard has a PCI-e 2.0 16x lane. You can use a PCI-e 2.1 16x card if you would like to in a PCI-e 2.0 lane, however, I believe it is limited to PCI-e 2.0 features, although really PCI-e 2.1 doesn't seem to offer many new benefits at all.

Solution
PCIE 2.1 is just an implimentation of some proyocols that will be in PCIE 3.0. It dosent make much differance for now, just something that i guess was quite easy to put in that gives them a bigger number to use and claim to be more advanced.
Real world differance=Zero.
If you have a PCIE 2.0 slot then as far as i know any new card will run in it just fine.

Mactronix

Colerton

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Thanks guys for the clarification.

Just one more thing on the power supply, do some video cards need a seperate cable that go directly to the power supply? Like a 6 pin?