Sign in with
Your question

External Hard Drive & USB 3.0 problem

Last response: in Storage
September 1, 2012 11:45:24 AM

Laptop - ASUS N76VZ-DS71
External Hard Drive - Hitachi Touro Desk Pro 2TB

Problem: When I transfer files from my laptop TO my external hard drive, the external hard drive disconnects and reconnects by itself. This happens within the first few seconds of transferring large files. When I transfer files FROM the hard drive to the laptop, it works fine.

Other Information and what I've done so far:

- The external hard drive is a USB 3.0 device, the USB cable is 3.0, and laptop ports (all 4) are 3.0
- When I use a USB 2.0 cable, the files transfer without disconnecting at USB 2.0 speeds
- When I boot the computer into safe mode, the files transfer at USB 3.0 speeds without disconnecting
- I restored the laptop to its factory settings
- I've updated the USB 3.0 drivers from Intel and flashed the motherboard with the latest BIOS
- The external hard drive manufacturer has no available firmware for updates
- I tested a USB 3.0 flash drive and it worked without disconnecting
- I've tested it with another USB 3.0 laptop (HP) and the external hard drive disconnects the same way.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?
November 28, 2012 3:29:11 AM

rukawa1337 said:
Laptop - ASUS N76VZ-DS71
External Hard Drive - Hitachi Touro Desk Pro 2TB

Problem: When I transfer files from my laptop TO my external hard drive, the external hard drive disconnects and reconnects by itself. This happens within the first few seconds of transferring large files. When I transfer files FROM the hard drive to the laptop, it works fine.

Other Information and what I've done so far:

- The external hard drive is a USB 3.0 device, the USB cable is 3.0, and laptop ports (all 4) are 3.0
- When I use a USB 2.0 cable, the files transfer without disconnecting at USB 2.0 speeds
- When I boot the computer into safe mode, the files transfer at USB 3.0 speeds without disconnecting
- I restored the laptop to its factory settings
- I've updated the USB 3.0 drivers from Intel and flashed the motherboard with the latest BIOS
- The external hard drive manufacturer has no available firmware for updates
- I tested a USB 3.0 flash drive and it worked without disconnecting
- I've tested it with another USB 3.0 laptop (HP) and the external hard drive disconnects the same way.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Does anyone have a solution? I have the same problem with my Asus U46E-BAL5 laptop
m
l
June 9, 2013 12:01:52 PM

Hi guys, I had the exact same problem. I even posted a similar question here. But did not get any solution. I downloaded and installed this file http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19880/eng/USB3.0_allOS_.... Its a USB 3 driver. As you can see you will find it in the intel's webpage. Install it and then run the program. Check the "Disable USB 3.0 power management function" then hit ok. It is still working for me so hope will do the same for you!
m
l
Related resources
March 11, 2014 9:54:23 AM

I have Asus U46E myself...I got it from an family acquittance where the laptop's screen was cracked from stepped on by accident...took awhile to get replacement screen from Hong Kong and still waiting for bluray burner (my older laptop's drive is 12.5mm and this is slim 9.5mm drive)...

I had problems with USB 3 HDD and tried few things like uninstall default drivers from Asus then reinstalling, tried Windows 7 driver and Windows 8 driver, and reinstalled using Window 8's automatic driver find...

None really helped with my WD My Passport USB 3.0 and WD My Passport Ultra USB 3.0 drive...

Then I've been using Centon USB 3.0 128GB flash drive and that works flawlessly without getting disconnected...

I figure the only difference is the power output on the USB 3.0 port on this laptop...for some reason, it's not outputting enough amp to run external drives with spinning platters but it's okay with flash ROMs...

I'm getting USB 3.0 hub with external power and try to use USB HDDs and see if it is power issue and not something else...

I will update this post after using external USB hub...
m
l
March 13, 2014 11:32:30 AM

Update: I bought iogear 4-port USB 3.0 minihub. Using that to connect WD My Passport USB 3.0 external drive, I can now watch movies stored on it. No dropouts and disconnects from external drive to PC.

As I suspected, USB 3.0 port on Asus U46E does not output enough amp to power spinning HDDs.

I wish I had USB 3.0 enclosure to test if SSD would work on it but I suspect it would work by itself because power requirement would be much lower than HDDs.
m
l
April 21, 2014 8:20:02 AM

Found the solution. I had that same problem. It was temporarily fixed by Windows 8.1 patch KB2911106 but the problem started again after the Windows 8.1 update 1. In my case I have a 2TB seagate external expansion drive.

The fix can be found in the link
http://www.registryrecycler.com/blog/2013/12/how-to-fix...

It requires you to update your register, carefully follow the instructions that are well explained. It works.
m
l
!