Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Crucial M4 512GB

Last response: in Storage
September 1, 2012 12:51:05 PM

Was planning to pick this up as my main Primary OS drive. Was wondering if anyone has dealt with this type of drive. Also is there any reason to ever need to clean install it for slow downs and so forth like a traditional mechanical drive?

Also is there any reason to run another SSD as a cache drive with this drive?

And my last question is with a 3TB drive as a HDD which i will be using for games that don't need the quick speed up, say if i ever do install games on these drives and do a clean install on my SSD drive will i have to reinstall games onto the 3TB since i wiped the SSD clean?

Thanks, greatly appreciate any feedback :D 

More about : crucial 512gb

a b G Storage
September 1, 2012 1:06:07 PM

I can't quite answer your first question, but I do know that the crucial m4 model is definitely a good model - I'm going to assume the 512gb model is great.

There is no reason to run another ssd as a cache drive - if anything it would perform slower than crucial m4 main drive.

As for your last question, it really depends on the game and its install procedure. Technically, you will always have to "reinstall" your game on the 3tb hdd after you had initially installed it on the ssd. However, some games come with a repair installation feature that will recognize all the files once they've been transferred and the repair installation feature will just rewrite the registry files and what not. Basically, the computer needs to know where to access the files to start the game. If you installed it in "C:" (your ssd) and then moved the files over to "D:" (your hdd), its going to look in "C:" even though the files aren't there anymore.

I'm sure there's another reader here who understands this stuff much better. Just wanted to give you at least somewhat of a response.
a b G Storage
September 1, 2012 1:18:55 PM

The Crucial M4 is very reliable, but isn't the fastest SSD out there by far. A Plextor 512GB or a Vertex 4 512GB would probably be better in performance while still having similar reliability (they all use Marvell controllers), granted the Vertex 4 might need a firmware update first.

There's no reason to get another SSD as a caching solution unless you want a small SSD to cache the hard drive.
Related resources
September 1, 2012 2:29:19 PM

fudoka711 said:
I can't quite answer your first question, but I do know that the crucial m4 model is definitely a good model - I'm going to assume the 512gb model is great.

There is no reason to run another ssd as a cache drive - if anything it would perform slower than crucial m4 main drive.

As for your last question, it really depends on the game and its install procedure. Technically, you will always have to "reinstall" your game on the 3tb hdd after you had initially installed it on the ssd. However, some games come with a repair installation feature that will recognize all the files once they've been transferred and the repair installation feature will just rewrite the registry files and what not. Basically, the computer needs to know where to access the files to start the game. If you installed it in "C:" (your ssd) and then moved the files over to "D:" (your hdd), its going to look in "C:" even though the files aren't there anymore.

I'm sure there's another reader here who understands this stuff much better. Just wanted to give you at least somewhat of a response.

Thanks for the quick response, i just asked out of curiosity because i had bought a SSD, a samsung 830 series 64GB which was going to be my cache and use the seagate 3TB as my main but a lot of people on here and a relative of mine bashed me to bits about having a SSD as my main. So in doing so i've delayed my build to buy a big enough SSD, although i won't need a very large one i just figured since it was so cheap mind as well.

As for the games part, i was told i could install the games onto the 3TB or use steam mover for any steam games to move over to the drive and that it would work perfectly, unless that was total bs then i must be a fool. I've never done that personally myself but its what a few people on here have told me was possible.
September 1, 2012 2:30:53 PM

blazorthon said:
The Crucial M4 is very reliable, but isn't the fastest SSD out there by far. A Plextor 512GB or a Vertex 4 512GB would probably be better in performance while still having similar reliability (they all use Marvell controllers), granted the Vertex 4 might need a firmware update first.

There's no reason to get another SSD as a caching solution unless you want a small SSD to cache the hard drive.

Those are nice drives, a bit out of my range $$$, any drives below that could be just as fast assuming this whole installing games on storage drive possible is there any drive fast and reliable and at a great price under $400? I just picked out the m4 because on toms they had it as the last drive on there SSD roundup, at $400 for 512GB's just seemed amazingly cheap. I could settle for 256GB assuming that me being able to install any other game on storage to be possible, only 3 things would be on the SSD. The OS Win 7, WoW, BF3. Beyond that i just don't like filling drives.
a b G Storage
September 1, 2012 2:36:47 PM

giovanni86 said:
Those are nice drives, a bit out of my range $$$, any drives below that could be just as fast assuming this whole installing games on storage drive possible is there any drive fast and reliable and at a great price under $400? I just picked out the m4 because on toms they had it as the last drive on there SSD roundup, at $400 for 512GB's just seemed amazingly cheap. I could settle for 256GB assuming that me being able to install any other game on storage to be possible, only 3 things would be on the SSD. The OS Win 7, WoW, BF3. Beyond that i just don't like filling drives.

They're the same price as the Crucial M4 512GB and have the same capacity, but more performance. That's part of why I picked them. Sure, you might not need more performance, but why settle for less when more is the same price?

Also, the higher the capacity and the less you fill them up, the longer they'll last without degrading performance and the longer they'll last overall. If you don't mind getting a 512GB SSD, then that is a good way to go for longevity.

Best solution

a b G Storage
September 1, 2012 2:40:06 PM

giovanni86 said:
Thanks for the quick response, i just asked out of curiosity because i had bought a SSD, a samsung 830 series 64GB which was going to be my cache and use the seagate 3TB as my main but a lot of people on here and a relative of mine bashed me to bits about having a SSD as my main. So in doing so i've delayed my build to buy a big enough SSD, although i won't need a very large one i just figured since it was so cheap mind as well.

As for the games part, i was told i could install the games onto the 3TB or use steam mover for any steam games to move over to the drive and that it would work perfectly, unless that was total bs then i must be a fool. I've never done that personally myself but its what a few people on here have told me was possible.

If you geta high-capacity SSD that can fit many games and such, then I recommend putting them on it. Things will load a lot faster. That might be an advantage in gaming with other people. If you don't want to put them on it, since you already have a 64GB SSD (a good one such as the Samsung 830, no less), I recommend using it as a caching system for your hard drive. At least that way the hard drive's most accessed files will have better read performance. Why not do it when you already have the parts?
September 1, 2012 2:48:14 PM

blazorthon said:
If you geta high-capacity SSD that can fit many games and such, then I recommend putting them on it. Things will load a lot faster. That might be an advantage in gaming with other people. If you don't want to put them on it, since you already have a 64GB SSD (a good one such as the Samsung 830, no less), I recommend using it as a caching system for your hard drive. At least that way the hard drive's most accessed files will have better read performance. Why not do it when you already have the parts?

Could you link me to them, i can't seem to find them for that price. I see a lot of them well over $600 the two SSD's you mentioned.
I'm confused as is with the SSD caching part. So just so i get this straight, i can use 512GB SSD as my main, use the 64GB as a cache to my 3TB storage drive, which are all in the build. I think i missed something, your telling me to use what i have already instead of buying a big SSD. hehe. I already have the drives minues the big SSD which i will be ordering this weekend hopefully. And thanks again appreciate it.
a b G Storage
September 1, 2012 2:55:20 PM

giovanni86 said:
Could you link me to them, i can't seem to find them for that price. I see a lot of them well over $600 the two SSD's you mentioned.
I'm confused as is with the SSD caching part. So just so i get this straight, i can use 512GB SSD as my main, use the 64GB as a cache to my 3TB storage drive, which are all in the build. I already have the drives minues the big SSD which i will be ordering this weekend hopefully. And thanks again appreciate it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

What you said after "let me get this strait" is correct. I don't know if you can use the entire 64GB as a cache for the HDD, but you can at least use some of it.
September 1, 2012 3:01:58 PM

Best answer selected by giovanni86.
!