UnrealTower has a new face!

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament, alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

Hi all,

UnrealTower, home of the alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 FAQ - and soon
home of the alt.games.unreal.tournament FAQ too - has gotten a new
facelift. A lot of new technology is used, and the entire website now is
completely XHTML compliant. I've re-written the FAQ system, the HTML is
compressed on the fly if your browser supports it, and the site uses
less graphics. All in all, it should be a faster and richer experience!

Visit the site at http://www.unrealtower.org/

Sybren
More about unrealtower face

    On 10 Apr 2004 16:40:49 GMT, Sybren Stuvel wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > UnrealTower, home of the alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 FAQ - and soon
    > home of the alt.games.unreal.tournament FAQ too - has gotten a new
    > facelift. A lot of new technology is used, and the entire website now is
    > completely XHTML compliant. I've re-written the FAQ system, the HTML is
    > compressed on the fly if your browser supports it, and the site uses
    > less graphics. All in all, it should be a faster and richer experience!
    >
    > Visit the site at http://www.unrealtower.org/
    >
    > Sybren

    15 seconds (average) for the site to respond... I'd hate to see it when it
    was slower.

    --
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

    Mr K enlightened us with:
    > 15 seconds (average) for the site to respond... I'd hate to see it
    > when it was slower.

    That's rather slow indeed. It's on a personal ADSL line shared with 10
    people, so sometimes it's slow, sometimes it's fast.

    Anyways, that's going to change too soon. A friend of mine has a server
    at a server park of one of the best ISPs in The Netherlands, and he
    offered to host UnrealTower.

    MeltDown

    PS: K, you seem to be rather grumpy today. Anything I can do to fix
    that?
    --
    The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be
    a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the

    Sybren Stuvel <sybrenUSE@YOURthirdtower.imagination.com> Blessed us
    with news:slrnc7g8sk.f2u.sybrenUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > UnrealTower, home of the alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 FAQ -
    > and soon home of the alt.games.unreal.tournament FAQ too - has
    > gotten a new facelift. A lot of new technology is used, and the
    > entire website now is completely XHTML compliant. I've
    > re-written the FAQ system, the HTML is compressed on the fly if
    > your browser supports it, and the site uses less graphics. All
    > in all, it should be a faster and richer experience!
    >
    > Visit the site at http://www.unrealtower.org/

    Well Martin says it's broke but it worked just fine for me. :-)
    There are some links that are reciprocal but that's probably
    because you're not done with it yet and still working on it.
    Very nice! I especially like the FAQ section with the UT FAQ
    in it. :-) Question: are you planning to host the UT2004 FAQ also?
    I saw a link to it in the FAQ section but I didn't click on it.
    You might as well then they would all be in one place!. You
    took out the FAQ searchbox completely. Oh well you have the
    FAQ navigation link and if people can't find what they are
    looking for then they don't need it IMHO. You also took 'test'
    out of the url. Aren't you the least bit curious as to how I
    was still able to open your site pages up in a text editor?
    I will tell you: I clicked 'File' -> 'Save As' to my desktop then
    just opened the html file in a text editor. I believe you had
    it in one of the JavaScript files to turn off editing so someone
    couldn't click file then edit with notepad.

    What's that in my sites?... Oh!... it looks like someone's
    HEAD... Quick pull the trigger!... Man that was nasty!.

    "Sybren Stuvel" <sybrenUSE@YOURthirdtower.imagination.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > UnrealTower, home of the alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 FAQ - and soon
    > home of the alt.games.unreal.tournament FAQ too - has gotten a new
    > facelift. A lot of new technology is used, and the entire website now is
    > completely XHTML compliant. I've re-written the FAQ system, the HTML is
    > compressed on the fly if your browser supports it, and the site uses
    > less graphics. All in all, it should be a faster and richer experience!
    >
    > Visit the site at http://www.unrealtower.org/

    Hey Meltdown - http://www.unrealtower.org/vakantiesite is broke....

    Martin

    > Sybren
    > --
    > The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
    > capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
    > safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

    ---
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Martin enlightened us with:
    > Hey Meltdown - http://www.unrealtower.org/vakantiesite is broke....

    Thanks for pointing that out! I've fixed it ;-)

    MeltDown
    --
    The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be
    a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
    For all your UT2003 questions visit http://www.unrealtower.org/faq.php
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On 10 Apr 2004 17:03:48 GMT, MeltDown wrote:

    > That's rather slow indeed. It's on a personal ADSL line shared with 10
    > people, so sometimes it's slow, sometimes it's fast.
    >
    > Anyways, that's going to change too soon. A friend of mine has a server
    > at a server park of one of the best ISPs in The Netherlands, and he
    > offered to host UnrealTower.
    >
    > MeltDown

    Ah well.

    > PS: K, you seem to be rather grumpy today.

    No grouchier than usual.

    > Anything I can do to fix that?

    Unless you're planning on becoming $DEITY within the forseeable future...
    no.

    --
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Mr K enlightened us with:
    > Unless you're planning on becoming $DEITY within the forseeable
    > future... no.

    Plans? Always. It's the becoming $DEITY that's the hard part ;-)

    MeltDown
    --
    The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be
    a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
    For all your UT2003 questions visit http://www.unrealtower.org/faq.php
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    JHall enlightened us with:
    > There are some links that are reciprocal but that's probably because
    > you're not done with it yet and still working on it.

    Exactly.

    > Question: are you planning to host the UT2004 FAQ also?

    I thought I just might as well keep track of a few UT2k4-related
    questions.

    > I saw a link to it in the FAQ section but I didn't click on it.

    There is a single question in it ;-)

    > Aren't you the least bit curious as to how I was still able to open
    > your site pages up in a text editor?

    No, why? Everybody can do that! Maybe they don't know how, but they can
    ;-)

    > I believe you had it in one of the JavaScript files to turn off
    > editing so someone couldn't click file then edit with notepad.

    I never thought of that. The 'edit' link is there so I can edit the
    pages. Everybody can do that - it's the saving of the changes that is
    protected.

    Protecting the source so nobody can see it is completely against my
    principles. And if that is the only thing that protects something, it's
    security by obscurity, which isn't security at all.

    MeltDown
    --
    The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be
    a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
    For all your UT2003 questions visit http://www.unrealtower.org/faq.php
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    JHall enlightened us with:
    > Well Martin says it's broke but it worked just fine for me. :-)

    That is because I fixed it ;-)

    MeltDown
    --
    The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be
    a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
    For all your UT2003 questions visit http://www.unrealtower.org/faq.php
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    JHall enlightened us with:
    > You took out the FAQ searchbox completely.

    I just browsed through the MySQL documentation, and found some nice
    fulltext search functions. The FAQ search box is back ;-)

    MeltDown
    --
    The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be
    a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
    For all your UT2003 questions visit http://www.unrealtower.org/faq.php
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
    with news:slrnc7gl0u.i5f.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:

    > I just browsed through the MySQL documentation, and found some
    > nice fulltext search functions. The FAQ search box is back ;-)

    And you gave it 20 spaces and it looks GREAT! Works too. I
    typed Unreal Tournament into it and it sent me right to the page.
    No that was just really strange earlier when I was at your site
    and noticed how small the searchbox was and when I clicked file
    there was no edit with notepad option!. Wierd! I wasn't sure if
    there was some JavaScript code to turn the editing feature off or
    not. I was really just sort of asking that as a question because
    when I was at your site earlier and didn't see the option in the
    file menu to edit with notepad it seemed strange because that is
    the first time that ever happend AFAIK. I also agree with you and
    never thought about it like that but security by obscurity is no
    security at all! and I hope it didn't sound like I was accusing
    you of it!. I really just thought your site or my browser or
    both had some errors or something.

    What's that in my sites?... Oh!... it looks like someone's
    HEAD... Quick pull the trigger!... Man that was nasty!.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    JHall enlightened us with:
    > And you gave it 20 spaces

    I didn't. I simply remove the "size=" attribute.

    > and it looks GREAT!

    That's good to hear.

    > No that was just really strange earlier when I was at your site and
    > noticed how small the searchbox was

    Then you have a browser that isn't CSS compatible. Which one are you
    using?

    > and when I clicked file there was no edit with notepad option!.
    > Wierd!

    I'm not familiar of Windows browsers, so I can't share your
    weirdness-feeling ;-)

    > I wasn't sure if there was some JavaScript code to turn the editing
    > feature off or not.

    Nope.

    > I hope it didn't sound like I was accusing
    > you of it!

    Nothing like that! You found something weird and were investigating.

    > I really just thought your site or my browser or both had some errors
    > or something.

    A buggy browser on windows - sounds like internet explorer to me.

    MeltDown
    --
    The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be
    a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
    For all your UT2003 questions visit http://www.unrealtower.org/faq.php
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
    with news:slrnc7gp74.j9h.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:

    > A buggy browser on windows - sounds like internet explorer to me.

    Nailed it! Right on the head! M$'s Internet Exploder. Sorry about
    all of my spelling errors. I noticed I have many of them but I
    spelled Exploder correctly. LOL

    What's that in my sites?... Oh!... it looks like someone's
    HEAD... Quick pull the trigger!... Man that was nasty!.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    JHall enlightened us with:
    > Nailed it! Right on the head! M$'s Internet Exploder.

    Ok, then you should expect more and more websites to look weird. The
    world is moving, but IE is standing still.

    MeltDown
    --
    The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be
    a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
    For all your UT2003 questions visit http://www.unrealtower.org/faq.php
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
    with news:slrnc7gpjt.j9h.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:

    > Ok, then you should expect more and more websites to look
    > weird. The world is moving, but IE is standing still.

    Tell me about it dude! I have seen several sites in the past
    few months that "are best viewed at 1024 x 768" and I'm an
    800 x 600 kind of person. When I set the desktop to 1024 x 768
    I have to get out my glasses and press my face against the
    screen almost to see anything!.

    What's that in my sites?... Oh!... it looks like someone's
    HEAD... Quick pull the trigger!... Man that was nasty!.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    wow looks bland

    "Sybren Stuvel" <sybrenUSE@YOURthirdtower.imagination.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > UnrealTower, home of the alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 FAQ - and soon
    > home of the alt.games.unreal.tournament FAQ too - has gotten a new
    > facelift. A lot of new technology is used, and the entire website now is
    > completely XHTML compliant. I've re-written the FAQ system, the HTML is
    > compressed on the fly if your browser supports it, and the site uses
    > less graphics. All in all, it should be a faster and richer experience!
    >
    > Visit the site at http://www.unrealtower.org/
    >
    > Sybren
    > --
    > The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
    > capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
    > safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:05:11 GMT, Lance Ballantyne wrote:

    > wow looks bland

    Wow, you've managed to port "links" over to Windows.

    --
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    ><head>
    > <link rel="alternative stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/css/unrealtower.css" title="Normal style" />
    > <link rel="alternative stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/css/tiny.css" title="Tiny style" />

    Maybe you should not *only* give alternative stylesheets - not all
    browsers take one of them as default. As a result, the site looks
    extremely bland in some browsers (Opera 6, for example). Mozilla 1.6
    seems to render it ok.

    HTH,
    RObert
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Robert Mischke enlightened us with:
    > Maybe you should not *only* give alternative stylesheets - not all
    > browsers take one of them as default.

    How's it now?

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    MeltDown wrote:
    > Robert Mischke enlightened us with:
    >> Maybe you should not *only* give alternative stylesheets - not all
    >> browsers take one of them as default.
    >
    > How's it now?

    Looks right in IE now. Was cruddy before on IE (mozilla had no problems)
    but I figured that was on porpoise :)

    --
    Mutley!! Doooooo Something!!
    Fix Outlook Express - http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/

    MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
    with news:slrnc7q7th.mn4.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:

    > How's it now?

    Wow! it really looks different now but still loads just as quickly!
    I didn't know it was supposed to look that way but of course I don't
    use Nutscape umm... I mean Netscape (Mozilla) though. I'm an
    Internut Exploder kind of person. I have Netscape and can install
    and use it but I just got used to IE. The site looks great now
    and it must have been the style sheet eh? It didn't look bad on
    my browser with the default system colours I have though.

    Go figure! Great job Melt! ;-)

    What's that in my sites?... Oh!... it looks like someone's
    HEAD... Quick pull the trigger!... That had to hurt!.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On 15 Apr 2004 21:56:24 GMT, JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote:

    >MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
    >with news:slrnc7q7th.mn4.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:
    >
    >> How's it now?
    >
    >Wow! it really looks different now but still loads just as quickly!
    >I didn't know it was supposed to look that way but of course I don't
    >use Nutscape umm... I mean Netscape (Mozilla) though. I'm an
    >Internut Exploder kind of person. I have Netscape and can install
    >and use it but I just got used to IE. The site looks great now
    >and it must have been the style sheet eh? It didn't look bad on
    >my browser with the default system colours I have though.
    >
    >Go figure! Great job Melt! ;-)

    I tried several browsers out and I've found Opera to fit my needs the
    best. It's uncluttered, fast, and no pop-ups at all.

    --
    Everything I believe could be wrong.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:40:27 GMT, "Littlemoot"
    <littlemoot@h0tmail.com> wrote:

    >Looks right in IE now. Was cruddy before on IE (mozilla had no problems)
    >but I figured that was on porpoise :)

    IE badly breaks HTML formatting. I have a very basic single page
    website with some centered text that looks fine in every browser apart
    from IE. To get the text centered in IE I had to put in leading
    spaces.
    please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Littlemoot enlightened us with:
    > Looks right in IE now. Was cruddy before on IE (mozilla had no
    > problems) but I figured that was on porpoise :)

    It still looks bad on MSIE. Take a look at the screenshot at
    http://www.unrealtower.org/unrealtower-screenshot.png. That is what it
    should look like. MSIE has been standing still for years, and it's
    getting outdated on CSS support (amongst other things).

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    JHall enlightened us with:
    > Wow! it really looks different now but still loads just as quickly! I
    > didn't know it was supposed to look that way

    Yep, it was.

    > but of course I don't use Nutscape umm... I mean Netscape (Mozilla)
    > though.

    I use Mozilla Firefox. The best browser I've seen so far. Way better
    than MSIE.

    > I'm an Internut Exploder kind of person.

    That's too bad for you. It's the most backwards, insecure, outdated
    browser you can get nowadays. Microsoft hasn't been working on it for
    years, because they know people will use it anyway.

    > The site looks great now and it must have been the style sheet eh?

    Yep! I had two alternative stylesheets, and some browsers don't pick one
    at all then. Made the primary one actually a "stylesheet" instead of
    "alternative stylesheet" and it works fine now.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Games Video Games