Your question

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T or X4 965BE

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Phenom
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
September 2, 2010 1:23:50 PM

Hi Guys, I have recently built my very first computer mainly for gaming. But recently I have been experiencing lag in my games. So I decided it's time to upgrade. I currently have the Athlon X3 440 and a XFX 5770 GPU. Which CPU will have better improvements for games? AMD Phenom II X6 1055T or X4 965BE? Or should I add more RAM? I currently have 4GB RAM under clocked to 1333, because my motherboard freaks out when i clock it to 1666(factory clock btw).

More about : amd phenom 1055t 965be

September 2, 2010 1:40:34 PM

Ram is just fine, no need of upgrading and speeds are well enough. For only gaming the X4 965BE will be enough, no need of those extra two cores when it won't come to any use.
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
September 2, 2010 1:54:47 PM

blazed1k said:
Hi Guys, I have recently built my very first computer mainly for gaming. But recently I have been experiencing lag in my games. So I decided it's time to upgrade.
What games are lagging? Are they played across the internet on game servers?
It might not be your system at all, but an issue with game server latency, or crowded servers.
Wouldn't be much fun to buy an X6 1055T and find you're still experiencing the same game lagging.
m
l
Related resources
September 3, 2010 1:01:58 AM

WR2 said:
What games are lagging? Are they played across the internet on game servers?
It might not be your system at all, but an issue with game server latency, or crowded servers.
Wouldn't be much fun to buy an X6 1055T and find you're still experiencing the same game lagging.

For some reason Counter Strike:Source lags the most. I personally don't believe it's a server lag. Because when it lags, the audio repeats and the screen just froze for about 2 seconds.

Other games that lags are Bad Company 2 and Crysis when there's just too many things going on the screen.

What's the after market price for the Athlon X3 440? I got it less than a month ago. It will be such a waste to throw it out.
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
September 3, 2010 1:18:05 AM

blazed1k said:
For some reason Counter Strike:Source lags the most.
CS:S is a game that runs pretty well on SLOW single core CPUs. So there is something else going on there. Driver issues, perhaps.

What resolution and in game graphics settings are you using for the last two games?
BF:BC2 and Crysis are notoriously hard for even powerful systems to run well at high resolutions with all the eye candy turned on.
m
l
September 3, 2010 4:33:34 AM

I have tried using driver 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8. They all seem to lag on CS:S. I thought it might be overheating isssue, but sometimes it lags even only 2 minutes into the game. I monitor my temperature. It's usually 50 - 75C. And I run all the games on 1680x1050.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2010 4:47:26 AM

If those temps are for cpu that is not good. The systems I built with a x3 720/710 barely hit 50c in torture test.
m
l
September 3, 2010 10:19:57 PM

Hmm, question to add. Do you by chance have any apps open that might leak memory? Such as a browser, or a bad Anti-Virus program? Such as McAffee or Norton? Check your processes and see if anything is consuming alot of memory or % of cpu usage.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2010 10:55:34 PM

What settings are you using on CS:S? The update made it a bit more demanding... but not much more.
m
l
!