My dvd drive isn't getting power!

overlocker1

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
I just put together my new computer build, and everything has worked fine so far. However, my dvd drive is showing no sign that it is connected to power! Neither is my hard drive for that matter, but It is a bare drive, so I think the dvd drive is the more pressing problem. I have the data cable hooked up to the motherboard sata port (I have tried many different ports to no avail) and a sata power connector connecting it and my hard drive to the power supply (I have tried only the dvd drive, and used the other cable). Also, I have inserted the power cable in different outlets in the power supply to no avail. The bios shows no devices in the sata ports at all. What can I do?

overlocker1

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
I just found the sata configuration menu, then I entered it, the sata chipset thing is on, but it was set to ide, I set it to achi, and rebooted, but nothing changed except some of my sata ports disapeared from the bios menu, including the ones I have my drives in, should I put my drives in two of he remaining ports? Thanks.

When you boot from the USB key you are not using the SATA connections on the motherboard. Either they don't work or you are not getting power to the devices from the PSU. It is unlikely but possible that you got both drives DOA.