Poor Copy/Transfer speeds?

trundley

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Hi, i recently got a brand new computer from DinoPC (custom built to my spec) and i've just tried to install Battlefield 3 on my computer but found that when copying from the disk to both the

Corsair Force 3 SSD
2TB 7200rpm 6gb/s HDD (not sure make/model ATM)

When the process starts i get around 15mb/s copying to the HDD but it drops off to around 4mb/s and now its at 2.67 mb/s. It sounds like the CD/DVD drive is spinning up and reading but the copy speed doesn't change most of the time, but it sometimes goes to about 4.5-ish mb/s then tails off again. This is quite annoying as i've recently got my mits on Dark Souls (despite people slamming it) and it just hangs terribly during install, so far i haven't finished installing it.

While BF3 is installing i have Origin running, which is reading from the SSD.

Any ideas other than getting a new CD/DVD ROM?

trundley

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Just checked both the HDD with Crystaldisk and get reads of 191.3 mb/s and a write of 185.1 mb/s. I also checked the SSD with Crystaldisk and got a Read of 204 mb/s and a write of 149.1 mb/s. This leads me to believe its the CD/DVD drive. I'm just doing a benchmark of that now.

trundley

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Just completed a CD/DVD benchmark using Nero CD-DVD Speed and have took a screenshot of the results screen and posted it.

CDDVDbenchmark.jpg

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
I'de try a firmware update for the dvd drive. Those SSTcorp drives have some kind of anti-piracy technology, that can slow down certain operations.

Failing that, make sure the drive transfer mode is running at UDMA-2 or higher. Sometimes damaged drives will revert to PIO which is painfully slow.

If those don't apply, maybe the drive is defective. All the best.

trundley

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Just installed l4d2 from the disk into Steam (around 6gb) and it took less than 10minutes by a country mile. I watched the counter and it was updating by 20mb each time. Must be this anti-piracy nonsense

Just checked the driver number in Device Manager and on the ones online at PCPitstop and they matchup. That seems to be the latest ones i can find.

EDIT:

Just tried to copy BF3 back onto the SSD from the Disk and the drive span up and copied for a while and get to about 8mb/s copy rate then it stopped spinning and died down to around 3mb/s and just now its just started spinning back up but its getting no where near the speed it was the first time. I dont know whether its because its a large 11gb file or the fact that its copying to a SSD which is formatted NTFS. I have an SD card that is formatted to NTFS and i know that it sometimes takes a while for larger files to copy, but this is just pure insane.

DVD drive is now spinning up for a few seconds every minute or so like its taunting me. Now copying at a lowly 3mb/s. Seems a new DVD drive may be required if the same thing happens on different installations, which i will test later.

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
Going by the screenshot you provided, it looks like you are using an old Firmware version, though i could be wrong.

I did come across this information, that might be useful.

"Samsung Writer Discuss, Samsung ODD support strongly advises to install latest firmware on SH-S223F and SH-S223Q at CD, DVD and Blu-ray Writers forum; Today, I got a message from Samsung ODD support. There seems to be an issue with firmware SB00 and SB01 for SH-S223F and SH-S223Q which might even cause permanent failure of the drive during operation. Therefore, it is strongly advised to flash the latest firmware SB02 (or newer if available)"

There is loads of info on it here: http://club.myce.com/f105/