P4 heating up on ati 4650

rohinspark

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Hi,

I recently bought an ATI hd 4650 512mb ddr2 xfx graphics card..

My pc config is
P4 3.0Ghz EM64T,
Intel MoBo D102GGC2,
1.5Gb DDR2 RAM,
80Gb HDD,
PSU 400W

With the card installed i could play assassins creed, grid etc smoothly with no lag...
The problem is that whenever i play a game the cpu heats up abnormally and the cpu
fan runs max out. :( The cpu usage remains at 100%. This problem is not just with high req. games
but also with games like warcraft 3,aoe 3 etc. Now i am no longer able to play bcoz of the fear that
i may burn out the CPU. By the way , the GPU temps are normal. I tried removing the card, then the
cpu temps and usage dropped to normal...

Can anyone say why this is happening and is their any solution for this?? :??:

Its probably because the GPU is dumping all its hot air into the case, hence why your CPU gets hotter. You need to improve the air circulation inside your case by adding more fans and doing some cable management, or you could buy a high air flow case.

How hot does your CPU get?

Aneesh@4GHz

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

I agree with this,Bcoz i also have a p4 630 running @ 3.0ghz, and a 8400gs(not mine,from my cousin).While gaming the cpu temp rises to 58-59C and the fan starts roaring at 3800RPM and a lot of heat is produced by the gpu too and it's temps were 70-72C.after exiting the game it remains for 10-15 secs to go back to normal temps.My cpu idles at 42 and gpu at 50.

Well then how do you know that the temps are abnormal? Your CPU running at 100% doesn't mean there's a problem.

rohinspark

Distinguished
May 27, 2010

Well, point taken. :D
Which app shud i dwnload to check cpu temps?

rohinspark

Distinguished
May 27, 2010

Lemme get this straight no matter which game we take the temp rises and fanspeed maxxes...
Theres no problem with the frame rates even with games like Grid with settings maxxed..

Its sad having to keep ur new graphics card locked away... out of fear of fryin the cpu... :??:

rohinspark

Distinguished
May 27, 2010

I will repost with exact temp data as soon as i return home to my pC...
Right now im usin my laptop... :)

rohinspark

Distinguished
May 27, 2010

Thanks man.. uve been a great help. I will reply with all the temperature details...

Guys...Pentium 4...100%...heat...

Ambient air is not going to heat up a CPU to that degree. I'm blaming this squarely on the Pentium 4 being overworked. Try cleaning out the heatsink, and some new thermal paste.

To what degree?, he hasn't told us the temps yet.