  • Backup
  • CD-Rom
  • Windows XP
March 14, 2005 9:05:02 PM

Hard drive failed. Replaced with Backup (data backup on HD). Reinstalled
windows.
After restoring system state, DVD/CD RW is NOT recognized. Says drivers not
right (they are the same as before- to the best of my ability to remember).

What do I do- need DVD/CD READ all the time, write sometimes.

Thanks

More about : dvd longer recognized

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 10:44:14 PM

In the Device Manager uninstall the optical drives. Reboot the PC and XP
should reinstall the drivers on startup.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"RAAckerman@hotmail.com" <RAAckerman@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:09F51545-B5F5-48B1-94E4-291322CEFDEB@microsoft.com...
> Hard drive failed. Replaced with Backup (data backup on HD). Reinstalled
> windows.
> After restoring system state, DVD/CD RW is NOT recognized. Says drivers
> not
> right (they are the same as before- to the best of my ability to
> remember).
>
> What do I do- need DVD/CD READ all the time, write sometimes.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 3:53:04 PM

I am looking for a non-obvious solution. That was tried three times to no
avail.
The only way it has NOT been a problem is to reinstall windows and NOT
reinstall the backup of system state. (To preclude another question- the
system state was backed up and VERIFIED less than two weeks ago. The only
change in the entire system (besides the lost data from the recent backup-
since the HD crashed and burned during the backup), has been to replace the
primary HD (the crashed one) with the backup HD. No other software or
hardware changes were effected.

Thanks.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> In the Device Manager uninstall the optical drives. Reboot the PC and XP
> should reinstall the drivers on startup.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "RAAckerman@hotmail.com" <RAAckerman@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:09F51545-B5F5-48B1-94E4-291322CEFDEB@microsoft.com...
> > Hard drive failed. Replaced with Backup (data backup on HD). Reinstalled
> > windows.
> > After restoring system state, DVD/CD RW is NOT recognized. Says drivers
> > not
> > right (they are the same as before- to the best of my ability to
> > remember).
> >
> > What do I do- need DVD/CD READ all the time, write sometimes.
> >
> > Thanks

March 15, 2005 10:55:30 PM

Have you tried a different DVD burner? Did you reinstall the chipset
drivers of the motherboard?
--

wrote in message news:FF2F5430-DFFB-40D9-8FD1-B4A59DF0023E@microsoft.com...
>I am looking for a non-obvious solution. That was tried three times to no
> avail.
> The only way it has NOT been a problem is to reinstall windows and NOT
> reinstall the backup of system state. (To preclude another question- the
> system state was backed up and VERIFIED less than two weeks ago. The only
> change in the entire system (besides the lost data from the recent backup-
> since the HD crashed and burned during the backup), has been to replace
> the
> primary HD (the crashed one) with the backup HD. No other software or
> hardware changes were effected.
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:09:03 AM

This is a laptop. It ran fine for one year. NOTHING has changed except for
the failed hard drive. The DVD/CR RW worked fine two weeks ago. (It has
worked fine as a CD/DVD reader since then, I am only staing that it recorded
two weeks ago.).
The issue is more related to the fact that XP reinstall does NOT work like
previous editions- one must remove previous installs and hope the new install
works fine.
I have the SAME drivers as I had before (I checked my notes), so it is NOT a
driver issue.
It is cleared an MS install issue.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Have you tried a different DVD burner? Did you reinstall the chipset
> drivers of the motherboard?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "RAAckerman@hotmail.com" <RAAckermanhotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:FF2F5430-DFFB-40D9-8FD1-B4A59DF0023E@microsoft.com...
> >I am looking for a non-obvious solution. That was tried three times to no
> > avail.
> > The only way it has NOT been a problem is to reinstall windows and NOT
> > reinstall the backup of system state. (To preclude another question- the
> > system state was backed up and VERIFIED less than two weeks ago. The only
> > change in the entire system (besides the lost data from the recent backup-
> > since the HD crashed and burned during the backup), has been to replace
> > the
> > primary HD (the crashed one) with the backup HD. No other software or
> > hardware changes were effected.
> >
> > Thanks.

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:26:09 PM

Even notebooks have chipset drivers... they are at the website of the
notebook manufacturer.
--

!