DVD RW (CD RW) no longer recognized

Hard drive failed. Replaced with Backup (data backup on HD). Reinstalled
windows.
After restoring system state, DVD/CD RW is NOT recognized. Says drivers not
right (they are the same as before- to the best of my ability to remember).

What do I do- need DVD/CD READ all the time, write sometimes.

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about longer recognized

    In the Device Manager uninstall the optical drives. Reboot the PC and XP
    should reinstall the drivers on startup.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "RAAckerman@hotmail.com" <RAAckerman@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:09F51545-B5F5-48B1-94E4-291322CEFDEB@microsoft.com...
    > Hard drive failed. Replaced with Backup (data backup on HD). Reinstalled
    > windows.
    > After restoring system state, DVD/CD RW is NOT recognized. Says drivers
    > not
    > right (they are the same as before- to the best of my ability to
    > remember).
    >
    > What do I do- need DVD/CD READ all the time, write sometimes.
    >
    > Thanks

    I am looking for a non-obvious solution. That was tried three times to no
    avail.
    The only way it has NOT been a problem is to reinstall windows and NOT
    reinstall the backup of system state. (To preclude another question- the
    system state was backed up and VERIFIED less than two weeks ago. The only
    change in the entire system (besides the lost data from the recent backup-
    since the HD crashed and burned during the backup), has been to replace the
    primary HD (the crashed one) with the backup HD. No other software or
    hardware changes were effected.

    Thanks.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > In the Device Manager uninstall the optical drives. Reboot the PC and XP
    > should reinstall the drivers on startup.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >
    > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >
    > "RAAckerman@hotmail.com" <RAAckerman@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in message news:09F51545-B5F5-48B1-94E4-291322CEFDEB@microsoft.com...
    > > Hard drive failed. Replaced with Backup (data backup on HD). Reinstalled
    > > windows.
    > > After restoring system state, DVD/CD RW is NOT recognized. Says drivers
    > > not
    > > right (they are the same as before- to the best of my ability to
    > > remember).
    > >
    > > What do I do- need DVD/CD READ all the time, write sometimes.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Have you tried a different DVD burner? Did you reinstall the chipset
    drivers of the motherboard?
    --

    wrote in message news:FF2F5430-DFFB-40D9-8FD1-B4A59DF0023E@microsoft.com...
    >I am looking for a non-obvious solution. That was tried three times to no
    > avail.
    > The only way it has NOT been a problem is to reinstall windows and NOT
    > reinstall the backup of system state. (To preclude another question- the
    > system state was backed up and VERIFIED less than two weeks ago. The only
    > change in the entire system (besides the lost data from the recent backup-
    > since the HD crashed and burned during the backup), has been to replace
    > the
    > primary HD (the crashed one) with the backup HD. No other software or
    > hardware changes were effected.
    >
    > Thanks.

    This is a laptop. It ran fine for one year. NOTHING has changed except for
    the failed hard drive. The DVD/CR RW worked fine two weeks ago. (It has
    worked fine as a CD/DVD reader since then, I am only staing that it recorded
    two weeks ago.).
    The issue is more related to the fact that XP reinstall does NOT work like
    previous editions- one must remove previous installs and hope the new install
    works fine.
    I have the SAME drivers as I had before (I checked my notes), so it is NOT a
    driver issue.
    It is cleared an MS install issue.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Have you tried a different DVD burner? Did you reinstall the chipset
    > drivers of the motherboard?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >
    > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >
    > "RAAckerman@hotmail.com" <RAAckermanhotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in message news:FF2F5430-DFFB-40D9-8FD1-B4A59DF0023E@microsoft.com...
    > >I am looking for a non-obvious solution. That was tried three times to no
    > > avail.
    > > The only way it has NOT been a problem is to reinstall windows and NOT
    > > reinstall the backup of system state. (To preclude another question- the
    > > system state was backed up and VERIFIED less than two weeks ago. The only
    > > change in the entire system (besides the lost data from the recent backup-
    > > since the HD crashed and burned during the backup), has been to replace
    > > the
    > > primary HD (the crashed one) with the backup HD. No other software or
    > > hardware changes were effected.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    Even notebooks have chipset drivers... they are at the website of the
    notebook manufacturer.
    --

    wrote in message news:0D80660E-03F4-4B7E-B8E2-184042C6E5A8@microsoft.com...
    > This is a laptop. It ran fine for one year. NOTHING has changed except
    > for
    > the failed hard drive. The DVD/CR RW worked fine two weeks ago. (It has
    > worked fine as a CD/DVD reader since then, I am only staing that it
    > recorded
    > two weeks ago.).
    > The issue is more related to the fact that XP reinstall does NOT work like
    > previous editions- one must remove previous installs and hope the new
    > install
    > works fine.
    > I have the SAME drivers as I had before (I checked my notes), so it is NOT
    > driver issue.
    > It is cleared an MS install issue.

Configuration DVD RW Backup CD-Rom Windows XP