Sign in with
Your question

PC painfully slow after graphics card/OS upgrade

Last response: in Systems
July 5, 2010 7:09:12 PM

Hello,

I recently got a new graphics card (GTX 480) for my 2 and a half year old system. I installed Windows 7 64bit (previously I had XP 32 bit) and added some more RAM. After installing the OS, the system ran excrutiating slow, taking at least 30 seconds to open a window. It also sporadically failed to boot, showing a grey gradient.

I tried reinstalling the old graphics card (7950GT) and it still doesn't work, it now gets as far as a black screen with a mouse cursor.

These are my specs:
  • Asus P5n32-SLI SE deluxe motherboard
  • Asus 7950GT - replaced with Inno3D GTX 480
  • Core 2 Duo 6600
  • 4 Gigs RAM (previously 2)
  • Hiper 530W PSU
  • Samsung SP2504C hard drive

What's going on here? Was this caused by the OS, going 64 bit, or did I overload the PSU with the new card?

I realise this is quite vague, but any help/advice would be appreciated.
    a b B Homebuilt system
    July 5, 2010 7:49:44 PM

I concur, the 480 is a resource hog.
    Related resources
    July 5, 2010 7:50:30 PM

forget to tell you, if you load a no brand PSU it might blow up and take the whole case with it, mobo, card, processor, happened with me, so I suggest to quickly change PSU

also sorry to tell you that but you are really crippling your GTX 480 with such a weak processor
    a b B Homebuilt system
    July 5, 2010 7:53:34 PM

I highly recommend this PSU. It's 700W, modular and was rated very well by hardwaresecrets.com and johnyguru.com

Also only costs 59.99 after MIR
    July 6, 2010 5:46:52 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking at this Corsair PSU (850W), a bit more power than I need at the moment but will hopefully last longer.

As for the processor, it probably is time to upgrade. Is it worth getting an i7? Can someone recommend a good motherboard to go with that?
    July 6, 2010 5:52:40 PM

If you want to change your CPU, you will need to change your RAM and Mobo.
    May be your HD are old and slow too? Then maybe new SSD?

So it is more a new computer than an upgrade.

Why don't you try to see if a new PSU fix your problem and see if the computer is fast enought for your need.
    July 6, 2010 7:30:01 PM

I don't mind replacing the mobo/ram - I got this computer when I was still a student and on a limited budget; I've got a bit more money to throw around now. That said, I might get a psu first and see how it goes - is 850w overkill?
    !