IMA UNICORN

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Hi all,
I have 2 seagate barracuda HDDs a 500GB on and a 1TB one (as well as a 60gb intel ssd) but with the 2 seagate drives is it possible that I could make a 400GB partion on both HDDs and have raid0 between those partions for games and other important programs that I want a bit of extra loading speed on, and then with the remaining 100GB and 600GB partions set them up with a JBOD setup that I'll just end up filling with crap like movies and music.
so with my HDDs can i have them raid0 with 400gb then a 700GB JBOD
my mobo is a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H, 8GB ram, intel 2400@3.74ghz.

Also what would the easiest way to set this up, i would rather do it with my mobos built in raid controller then using other software

Thanks

Solution

Unless you've installed a dedicated RAID controller you don't have one. The RAID on Intel chipsets is actually a firmware RAID controller, it's just a software RAID with a firmware ROM containing a driver that lets an OS be booted from it. I haven't actually tried it myself but I presume that since the Rapid Storage Technology controller was previously named Intel Matrix RAID that it should support it. Poke your nose in there and see what you can find out
You could do that, but it doesn't seem like a good idea. It would probably need to be done in software RAID, not hardware. It would also mean that the read-write heads would be all over the place if you try to get data from the JBOD while the RAID 0 array is also trying to get data moved around. Performance would probably suffer.

Also, two 400GB partitions in RAID 0 count as a single 800GB partition. They aren't halved in capacity like RAID1.

Yes, this is called a Matrix RAID and is certainly possible to do. The RAID-0 volume is constrained by the smallest volume in the array, so you could have a 1TB RAID-0 volume and a 500 GB standard volume. Your RAID-0 volume cannot exceed 1TB because of the single 500GB drive

IMA UNICORN

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

ok thank you, what ways could i set this up with? hardware, software??
thanks

Unless you've installed a dedicated RAID controller you don't have one. The RAID on Intel chipsets is actually a firmware RAID controller, it's just a software RAID with a firmware ROM containing a driver that lets an OS be booted from it. I haven't actually tried it myself but I presume that since the Rapid Storage Technology controller was previously named Intel Matrix RAID that it should support it. Poke your nose in there and see what you can find out

Solution