Sign in with
Your question

Mobo doesn't say 4GB Ram - Only 2Gb - Windows 764bit Says 4Gb?

Last response: in Memory
April 5, 2011 4:15:32 PM

Hi, I've got a GA-EP41-UD3L Motherboard.

I've got 4GB ram. 2 are Samsung, and 2 are another make.
(I know that I should get them the same make and I've orderd already, but let me go through other possibilties, because I've used these ram for around 3-5 months and in other computers they work absolutley fine)

I've got Windows 7, 64bit proffesional.
500GB HDD SATA
Ati Radeon 4850 (512mb) ASUS
And a 500w power supply.
Intel Duo Core e8400 @ 3.0Ghz CPU

I recently brought this motherboard and I put everything on and everything works fine. Games work fine, altho the graphic card does over heat to about 90-100 degrees when on full load. But I've got a replacement case for it on the way to lower that.

It seems that the board isn't reconising 4GB ram.
It only shows 2GB ram.
But windows 7 64Bit is saying 4GB Ram 2 useable.

I've done the max memory untick box stuff, and to no avail.
I don't know how to access memory remap on my board.
I have tried asking google this.
I don't know how to enable something called XMC?
I also tried to google this.

So i just need you're thoughts and tips on how I can get the ram working properly.

I'm thinking about ordering 2x2gb ram. Same make. And see'ing if that allows me to have 4gb.....

Computer recource shows 2050GB HARDWARE RESERVE

How do I stop my computer from resvering this?

Thanks.
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2011 8:37:53 PM

tilyardinit said:
Hi, I've got a GA-EP41-UD3L Motherboard.

I've got 4GB ram. 2 are Samsung, and 2 are another make.

The RAM, as you said, should be the same....everything. Mismatch might work fine in one board, but not in an identical board. 'just the way it is.
Are they different speeds, timings, voltages?
tilyardinit said:
altho the graphic card does over heat to about 90-100 degrees when on full load. But I've got a replacement case for it on the way to lower that.
GPU won't last long doing that.

tilyardinit said:
It seems that the board isn't reconising 4GB ram.
It only shows 2GB ram.
But windows 7 64Bit is saying 4GB Ram 2 useable.
Dont' trust that - although it may be correct in that you have mixed RAM, download CPUZ, install, tick the Memory tab, and see what it says at the top left for size.

Yes, always use matched sticks.
April 5, 2011 9:34:48 PM

Noworldorder said:
The RAM, as you said, should be the same....everything. Mismatch might work fine in one board, but not in an identical board. 'just the way it is.
Are they different speeds, timings, voltages?
GPU won't last long doing that.

Dont' trust that - although it may be correct in that you have mixed RAM, download CPUZ, install, tick the Memory tab, and see what it says at the top left for size.

Yes, always use matched sticks.

Hi, yeah I've got the CPUZ it reconises 4gb.

Erm yeah they're different speeds, ones 5300 thats samsung other is 64000 I think. (something like that)

What i've done is...Brought 2 x 2gb RAM sticks. Today
And I'm waiting for them to be deliverd.

But will that fix this problem? I hope I don't put them in and they say 4gbram 2 useable...

They're the same make. I guess time will tell. Ok, so for now we rest it on the sticks being different.
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2011 10:00:04 PM

You don't have a "problem". The MB is just giving different readings to different programs -
- happens all the time.

If CPUZ says you have 4Gb, then that's what you have.
But I would still recommend that you get matched sticks because unmatched sticks can, without reason or warning, start making the system act strangely in the most frustrating ways, ways that you will never figure out what is wrong.
Good luck now.
a b } Memory
a c 78 V Motherboard
April 6, 2011 3:19:13 AM

STOP... (you don't need to buy more or new RAM to fix...)

Here is the fix for Win7 showing 4Gb, and only 2Gb Usable....

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/66482-memory-set-m...

NOTE: key is to : Uncheck the Maximum memory box, and click on OK......

Here's the background on mix & match....

You should always install 2 sticks that match in size and timings for optimum performance. This is so you RAM will run in Dual Channel mode. And, so that the system will set a CAS & other timings that will work both sticks. And finally, Intel & AMD CPU chips will over clock the best with ONLY two sticks.....

But you can use 4 sticks. The second 2 sticks should match each other. The do NOT have to match size or even the timings of the 1st 2 sticks. This is true since system will run at the timing for the SLOWER pair of sticks. Size doesn't matter at all...

An time you use an odd number of sticks, you'll run Only Single channel which slows your computer down quite a bit.....

To your questions:
What i've done is...Brought 2 x 2gb RAM sticks. WHEN you install these you'll have 4Gb, if you ALSO install 2 x 1gb you have 6Gb total..... PERFECTLY valid, see above.....

April 6, 2011 10:30:14 AM

jb6684 said:

You should always install 2 sticks that match in size and timings for optimum performance. This is so you RAM will run in Dual Channel mode. And, so that the system will set a CAS & other timings that will work both sticks. And finally, Intel & AMD CPU chips will over clock the best with ONLY two sticks.....

But you can use 4 sticks. The second 2 sticks should match each other. The do NOT have to match size or even the timings of the 1st 2 sticks. This is true since system will run at the timing for the SLOWER pair of sticks. Size doesn't matter at all...

An time you use an odd number of sticks, you'll run Only Single channel which slows your computer down quite a bit.....

To your questions:
What i've done is...Brought 2 x 2gb RAM sticks. WHEN you install these you'll have 4Gb, if you ALSO install 2 x 1gb you have 6Gb total..... PERFECTLY valid, see above.....

Dude. If this link sorts my problem out I'm gonna come to you're address and hug you. Secondly. as mentioned, I have tried the box tick/untick stuff. Didn't work. (clicks link)
April 6, 2011 10:49:17 AM

jb6684 said:

To your questions:

|Hi, yeah I followed the steps didn't work=\.
a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2011 11:03:44 AM

"Something like that" That says it all!
April 12, 2011 1:56:00 PM

Yeah the new ram works fine. Thanks
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 12, 2011 3:40:43 PM

Just happy that everything worked out for you. Cheers! :) 
!