New build won't boot. Stuck for ideas...

G

Hi guys, just built a new PC today, and now it won't boot. I opened up my old PC just to check and see if everything was the same in case I forgot something silly, and everything is the same cable-wise.

When I first turned it on, everything worked apparently, the CPU fan started turning, the GPU fan too, I could hear the hard drives spinning, everything heating up... But wouldn't actually boot.

Strangely although it was pretty clear the mobo power was fine, none of my peripherals were turning on, hence the reason I knew for a fact it just wasn't booting somehow.
I've never had this problem before and have no idea why everything would be "working" but not............

Plus I couldn't even look up an error code from on-screen seeing as peripherals dont work, and there are no error beeps either. It just turns on like a PC should do but no boot.

Any suggestions? Thanks

G

It's not a compatability issue. I just need somehow who knows what they're talking about to tell me what problems to start looking for.

G

I don't need people who don't even read my post to reply to me. How can I install OS from CD if the PC won't boot at all. Go away

Are you using USB keyboard? Have had issues with some mobos wanting PS/2 keyboards. No drivers are installed on first boot which should be to OS cd but you need to be able to specify first boot device.

G

You're not listening, NOTHING IS WORKING. It's not like it's turning on and then not launching the OS or anything, if a PC boots, then it will at least let you go into the BIOS or whatever, MY PC IS NOT BOOTING AT ALL.

direson

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
It's understandable that you might be irritated, though please understand that these rolli59 is trying to help you. What are the specs of your build?

G

Mobo: Asus M4A79XTD Evo
PSU: Cooler Master GX 750W
RAM: 4x 2Gb OCZ Reaper DDR3 12800C6
GPU: GTS 250
CPU: AMD X4 635

G

With the 24 pin power connector going to the motherboard, the last 4 pins are detatched from the rest. Leaving 4 unused on the motherboard. Im aware they all need to be plugged in, so I push it in and it won't stay in. Is this a common thing or what? It's not broken it looks like it's clearly done on purpose.

But anyway, I tried booting while firmly keep it down with my own hand, and it made absolutely no difference. Apart from that, no other problems found from the troubeshoot

lowriderflow

Distinguished
Sometimes the motherboard defaults to onboard video, so you'd have to plug ur monitor into the onboard first to access BIOS, but it looks like that motherboard is listed on newegg with no onboard video.

One of hte other posters was right about USB peripheals, almost all BIOS's are setup default that USB powered keyboards are off -

Having said that. ADDRESSING your actual issue... if your CPU is not seated correctly of the Heatsink not installed properly, it could automatically shut itself back down. most intels only seat one way, so I'm not sure if AMD's are the same way.
I'd also next try to reset your motherboard. Either pulling out the battery for a minute or so... or if it has a CMOS jumper pulling that off for a minute before putting it back on.

I'd also double check your video card is not DOA... hopefully your old system or a friend ssystem has PCIx16 you can plug it in and double check that to see if its outputting.

G

Graphics card is fine I already checked on another PC, and its none of the other problems either as far as I can tell, I went through the troubleshooting from toms hardware and everything seemed fine.

we_san

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Sorry, but what do you mean by the last 4 pins detached from the rest. AFAIK 24 pins power can be separated into 20 pins (for old mboard) and 4 pins. the 4 pins should be attached first to the 20 pins before you plug to the motherboard.
Also, Have you tried with vga but no memory and with memory but no vga ? Both should give you error beep. Otherwise the motherboard maybe the problem.