Pricard

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (August 2010) BUDGET RANGE: (~$1,000) After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (Gaming: Starcraft 2, CS: Source, etc. Schoolwork: Word processing, occasional AutoCAD (not a priority), presentations. Web surfing, other misc uses.)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, OS)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (Newegg, amazon, tigerdirect, microcenter) I live in the USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type (I have no brand preference, just bang for the buck)

OVERCLOCKING: No, SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe (only if higher cost of MoBo & PSU would be worth it)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (1920x1080)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: (As Starcraft 2 will be the primary function of this PC, I do not know that >2 core processor would be worthwhile. This being said, microcenter is selling i7 930s for $200 which is tempting. As I would prefer not to have >1 Gfx card, I was thinking of going with the 5850. The thing I am least knowledgeable about is motherboards. I am really at a loss when I am trying to put a system together. This is especially true because I don't know which processor to go with yet. $1,000 is really my max, so the lower the price the more attractive it is to me. If it can play SC2 maxed, that's pretty much the goal here. Thanks!)

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
1.JPG

could get a cheaper case and you could get an Athlon II triple or quad core
SC2 isn't very demanding, a 5770 is enough to max it out, lower the price some more

Pricard

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010

Thanks TheDuke.

What made you go for that MOBO? I see it has USB 3.0 which tells me it's likely a bit pricier than something a little older perhaps. I am pretty bad at selecting the motherboard as I said in my OP.

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
it's a quality mobo and even the older gen mobos aren't that much cheaper so why not just go for a board with usb 3 and sata 6.

older 770 boards are around 60-80, not much cheaper