~$1,000 SC2 Build

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (August 2010) BUDGET RANGE: (~$1,000) After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (Gaming: Starcraft 2, CS: Source, etc. Schoolwork: Word processing, occasional AutoCAD (not a priority), presentations. Web surfing, other misc uses.)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, OS)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (Newegg, amazon, tigerdirect, microcenter) I live in the USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type (I have no brand preference, just bang for the buck)

OVERCLOCKING: No, SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe (only if higher cost of MoBo & PSU would be worth it)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (1920x1080)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: (As Starcraft 2 will be the primary function of this PC, I do not know that >2 core processor would be worthwhile. This being said, microcenter is selling i7 930s for $200 which is tempting. As I would prefer not to have >1 Gfx card, I was thinking of going with the 5850. The thing I am least knowledgeable about is motherboards. I am really at a loss when I am trying to put a system together. This is especially true because I don't know which processor to go with yet. $1,000 is really my max, so the lower the price the more attractive it is to me. If it can play SC2 maxed, that's pretty much the goal here. Thanks!)
4 answers Last reply
More about build

1. could get a cheaper case and you could get an Athlon II triple or quad core
    SC2 isn't very demanding, a 5770 is enough to max it out, lower the price some more
  2. TheDuke said:
    http://ist1-4.filesor.com/pimpandhost.com/4/4/2/4/44244/h/r/s/g/hrsg/1.JPG

could get a cheaper case and you could get an Athlon II triple or quad core
    SC2 isn't very demanding, a 5770 is enough to max it out, lower the price some more

Thanks TheDuke.

What made you go for that MOBO? I see it has USB 3.0 which tells me it's likely a bit pricier than something a little older perhaps. I am pretty bad at selecting the motherboard as I said in my OP.
  3. it's a quality mobo and even the older gen mobos aren't that much cheaper so why not just go for a board with usb 3 and sata 6.

older 770 boards are around 60-80, not much cheaper
  4. Does anyone have a suggestion of a build based around a $200 i7 930? Again, the mobo choice is what is most difficult for me.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems