Device Manager damaged?

Hi,

I recently was running msconfig in order to try to cut down on
resources that I was using since my Toshiba has been running on XP
since 2002, and to my wonder, many devices and the device manager
itself doesn't load (in the hardware manager, under System
Properties).

The other devices/things that aren't running are Sound, USB, printers,
and networking. So I'm somewhat dead in the water. My Toshiba
Recovery CDs don't work, and I had temporarily turned off the Windows
recovery points.

The Device manager window won't even populate any devices. It's as
if my computer doesn't know how to find its old configuration.
Somehow, the A drive and PCMCIA device that reads my flash card work
for transferring files, so I can still work with general programs
not needing Internet/network access.

Msconfig isnt the place to do that,run,type:services.msc In msc,double
click on the service,in the properties window,change from auto,to manual
or disable.For youre problem(s),re-open Msconfig,try start-up,and services
tab,re-check if any are blank.

"Johann" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently was running msconfig in order to try to cut down on
> resources that I was using since my Toshiba has been running on XP
> since 2002, and to my wonder, many devices and the device manager
> itself doesn't load (in the hardware manager, under System
> Properties).
>
> The other devices/things that aren't running are Sound, USB, printers,
> and networking. So I'm somewhat dead in the water. My Toshiba
> Recovery CDs don't work, and I had temporarily turned off the Windows
> recovery points.
>
> The Device manager window won't even populate any devices. It's as
> if my computer doesn't know how to find its old configuration.
> Somehow, the A drive and PCMCIA device that reads my flash card work
> for transferring files, so I can still work with general programs
> not needing Internet/network access.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:A822B7A3-B502-484A-9361-515DA11F6D73@microsoft.com,
Johann <IMJohann@hotmail.com> had this to say:

> Hi,
>
> I recently was running msconfig in order to try to cut down on
> resources that I was using since my Toshiba has been running
> on XP since 2002, and to my wonder, many devices and the
> device manager itself doesn't load (in the hardware manager,
> under System Properties).
>
> The other devices/things that aren't running are Sound, USB,
> printers, and networking. So I'm somewhat dead in the water.
> My Toshiba Recovery CDs don't work, and I had temporarily
> turned off the Windows recovery points.
>
> The Device manager window won't even populate any devices.
> It's as if my computer doesn't know how to find its old
> configuration. Somehow, the A drive and PCMCIA device that reads
> my flash card work for transferring files, so I can still
> work with general programs not needing Internet/network access.

This is just in addition to the information that the other poster has given
you. This is an EXCELLENT site to check your services against, to see what
is needed, to see what does what, and for finding a few configuration
options.

Galen