Solved

MSI p67a-G45 vs. P67a-GD65

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
April 5, 2011 6:54:29 PM

Building a new system here within the next few weeks.

I'm trying to decide if stepping up from the G45 to the GD65 is worth the extra $40.

I don't understand the difference, outside a few extra connections internally, and I think, raid controllers...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130582&cm_re=p67a-_-13-130-582-_-Product

vs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130574&cm_re=p67a-_-13-130-574-_-Product

Any reason here that I should consider the more expensive board?

I may eventually add a second card for SLI.
I'm going to use the 2500k processor.
Not planning on anything else over the top. I'm somewhat tepid about overclocking, and IF (big if) I ever overclock, it's going to be with a very light touch...

Thanks for your input Toms!

More about : msi p67a g45 p67a gd65

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 7:55:01 PM

traviskane said:
Any reason here that I should consider the more expensive board?
I normally find myself agreeing with the more expensive board, but, considering what you say your limitations are, I suggest the P67A-G45. Because you don't need the Marvel RAID, or 2extra SATA3s, or (presumably) the extra inch size....then you have nothing to gain.

traviskane said:

I'm somewhat tepid about overclocking, and IF (big if) I ever overclock, it's going to be with a very light touch...
:)  We are all tepid at first, until bit by the bug. Believe me, you'll get over it when you figure out there is no harm done if you stay within the boundaries.
April 5, 2011 7:58:51 PM

Best answer selected by traviskane.
m
l
Related resources
April 5, 2011 7:59:05 PM

Excellent, thanks dude!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 8:00:23 PM

Anytime. Thank you too. Always here to help.
m
l
April 10, 2011 1:55:28 PM

I just finished a build with the G45.

I wrestled with the same questions, because I didn't see why I should spend more money considering the difference between the boards seemed very minor.

The build is for my father. He wanted a serious multi-tasker for photo/video editing and office productivity. It went off without one minor hitch. I hated the stock cooler, and ordered a new cooler after the build was done. I opted for the Mugen Scythe that Tom's used in their build. The BIOS also took a little getting used to. All of my builds in the last 3 years have been ASUS.

No regrets, it's a screamer.

i7-2600
Mugen Scythe CPU cooler
MSI P67-G45
12 GB G-Skill 1600 (2x4GB and 2x2GB)
Antec 300
Radeon 5570
Cooler Master 600 watt power supply
Four HDD (WD and Seagate in RAID)
128 GB Crucial SSD
m
l
April 10, 2011 9:03:38 PM

So you didn't have any issues with RAM compatibility? Most of the complaints on the MSI boards seem to stem from RAM compatibility. Well, good!

The only other hesitation I have between the gd65 and g45, is that the 45 doesn't seem to contain an SLI bridge- Doesn't show it on newegg, and the unboxing videos I've watched didn't seem to contain one either. That seems odd to me, for a board that supports SLI.

Oh well, I suppose if and when I upgrade to a second card, I can always purchase an SLI bridge. I hear they're pretty cheap
m
l
April 10, 2011 9:21:33 PM

Whoa! Thought I'd reply here real quick with something I just discovered...

Newegg.com has, under the G45 board "B3 Ready; Military Class, UEFI, SLI, Front USB3"

MSI's website says that the board does NOT support SLI.

Come on now newegg! Well, maybe I'll step it up to the gd55...
m
l
April 14, 2011 9:41:56 PM

I have the G45 (still awaiting CPU), however on the PCB itself it does have printed "True PCI-E 2.0 SLI & Crossfire X". I was surprised when i saw it.

Here is the MSI page for the p67a-g45 (B3). You can see the words printed in the screenshot: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-G45--B3-.html

That being said, i have not had a chance to test anything myself.

EDIT: it's printed right under the first blue PCIE slot
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2011 10:09:35 PM

panamajose said:
"True PCI-E 2.0 SLI & Crossfire X". I was surprised when i saw it.
Me too. Not advertising that is a huge marketing blunder.
Good catch! Enjoy your new system!
m
l
May 19, 2011 12:12:08 AM

traviskane said:
So you didn't have any issues with RAM compatibility? Most of the complaints on the MSI boards seem to stem from RAM compatibility. Well, good!

The only other hesitation I have between the gd65 and g45, is that the 45 doesn't seem to contain an SLI bridge- Doesn't show it on newegg, and the unboxing videos I've watched didn't seem to contain one either. That seems odd to me, for a board that supports SLI.

Oh well, I suppose if and when I upgrade to a second card, I can always purchase an SLI bridge. I hear they're pretty cheap

That is correct, there is no SLI bridge included with the motherboard. I just found this out the hard way. But thanks to this thread for helping me confirm it does support SLI. So..now..how do I get the proper size SLI bridge? I tried one I had from an older ABIT board and it was too wide.
m
l
May 19, 2011 1:02:58 AM

Ha, I ended up going with asrock. Good luck to ya, I've seen aftermarket ski bridges. Newer has one, I think.
m
l
!