Sign in with
Your question

Truepower Quattro 850W and GTX 260????

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 28, 2010 2:16:47 AM

Hi everyone!!! I just got an MSI GTX 260 Twin Frozr OC. Ever since I had it ive been getting nothing but freezing in my games. Although i'll have a smooth 60fps in game, every few seconds the game will freeze and then go back to normal. I've tested everything: memtest, cpu stability test, chkdsk, and even RMA the videocard. My power supply is a Truepower Quattro 850W. I know that it has 4 +12v rails each running at 18A. Is this not enough to power the video card? I've had the power supply for almost 2 years so is it possibly dying??
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
May 28, 2010 4:20:05 AM

try your card on another computer with decent PSU...

try different cable connector for the card...
m
l
May 28, 2010 5:03:58 AM

Check to see if the port you connected your power supply's plug to is working. If everythings still working, maybe replace your video card or return it.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 28, 2010 4:12:38 PM

I doubt if the PSU has something to do with your problem. That PSU has more than enough capacity to power your hardware.

I have 2 Antec Quatro 850W and it never cause any freeze up or BSOD on my PC. My PC has a higher load(GTX 280OC cards) than what you have.

I recommend driver clean up before anything else.
m
l
May 28, 2010 7:52:45 PM

Ok first, to zipzoomflyhigh, the reason I got rid of them was because they ran too hot for me. I also didnt RMA the PSU, I RMA'd the video card!!! The PSU is antec not thermaltake (have no idea where u got that). To wa1, i tried different cables and it did me not good, also have no other computer to try it on. All drivers are up to date.
m
l
May 28, 2010 7:53:22 PM

Im using windows xp and 197.45 WHQL drivers.
m
l
May 28, 2010 10:16:53 PM

ughh no luck. Any other suggestions??
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 28, 2010 10:36:03 PM

Do not OC your PC
Update your BIOS
Update your drivers
Make sure you remove all existing GPU driver
Install new driver

For your GPU power: Use the 8PIn/6 Pin GPU connector that is hard-wired from the Antec Quatro 850. That what i use on my PC. Antec Quatro has a pair of hard-wired PCIE 8/6 connector. Use it to power your GPU.

Again 850 Watts is more than enough for your load.
m
l
May 28, 2010 10:57:28 PM

hehe you know what the funny thing is...... I DID ALL OF THOSE!!!! In my tag, yes it says the cpu is OC, but I took it off. FYI the card, I found out, is factory OC. I tried underclocking it but no luck. And to everything else you said, yes I DID IT ALL.
m
l
May 29, 2010 3:51:10 AM

http://www.xfire.com/video/2c2fed/

Go to the above URL, this has the video that I recorded in game. All of the lag is not from video recording but what has actually been bothering me for 2 weeks already. Watch plz.
m
l
May 29, 2010 4:12:49 PM

I just switched out the mobo with all new parts, still not working!!! Has to be the card. Maybe they recieved a bad patch of cards and gave me two of em in a row.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
May 29, 2010 4:19:02 PM

wa1 said:
try your card on another computer with decent PSU...

try different cable connector for the card...

LOL!

The Antec TPQ-850 will power SLI GTX 260's..... And that's what the OP said he has.

Look at my signature if you need proof. *shakes head*
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
May 29, 2010 4:30:28 PM

jerreece said:
LOL!

The Antec TPQ-850 will power SLI GTX 260's..... And that's what the OP said he has.

Look at my signature if you need proof. *shakes head*

^
I ask the OP to test the card in another computer just want to know whether his PSU is okay or not...
I knew very well his PSU is a high quality one... :) 
m
l
May 29, 2010 5:07:24 PM

Im gonna buy a new PSU to see what happens. I dont know anybody who has another one I can try. Not many 14 year olds do this =/. While im at it, maybe even a new video card. Ill try to make a deal with newegg....hopefully.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
May 29, 2010 5:32:05 PM

wait, don't waste your money unless we know what is wrong...
You can RMA the card, still on warranty, right?
m
l
May 29, 2010 6:42:57 PM

Quote:
What hardrive do you have?

Does your computer pass Prime95 testing?

Are you sure it's not your internet connection?

Thx to you, I found out the prob. Although I was playing single player, IT WAS MY INTERNET!!!!! Since im using wifi (too lazy to run an ethernet cable but have to now), its constantly sending a signal back and forth. I've played games with wifi on before, but whatever. I unplugged the adapter and works like butter!!!
m
l
May 29, 2010 6:43:05 PM

Best answer selected by jrz895.
m
l
May 29, 2010 7:01:23 PM

Ummmm actually now I have a question. How can I stop that other than unplugging the adapter????
m
l
!