Maintaining Aspect Ratio on Printing.

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 18, 2004 11:40:08 PM

Admittedly, I'm a bit of a newb to printing my digital prints myself.
I have a print that's 2048 X 1536 pixels (28.44 x 21.33 inches)
keeping an aspect ratio in place this will not evenly reduce to print
on a 4x6 sheet. cropping the image down to 2010 x 1340 pixels this
maintains a ratio that in theory reduces to 4 x 6.

However when I print this to photo paper the printer skews it down to
3.5 x 4.75. Yes its the correct aspect ratio still, but when I order
the computer to fit to screen it should render the image to as close
to 4 x 6 as it can.

I've tried this with both HP Director and MS Photo Editor, multiple
times with fit to page selected and unselected.

Any advice on how to get the image to fit evenly to a 4 x 6?
December 19, 2004 6:53:14 PM

"charles rampersad" <ottawasmurf@excite.com> wrote in message
> Admittedly, I'm a bit of a newb to printing my digital prints myself.
> I have a print that's 2048 X 1536 pixels (28.44 x 21.33 inches)
> keeping an aspect ratio in place this will not evenly reduce to print
> on a 4x6 sheet. cropping the image down to 2010 x 1340 pixels this
> maintains a ratio that in theory reduces to 4 x 6.
>
> However when I print this to photo paper the printer skews it down to
> 3.5 x 4.75. Yes its the correct aspect ratio still, but when I order
> the computer to fit to screen it should render the image to as close
> to 4 x 6 as it can.
>
> I've tried this with both HP Director and MS Photo Editor, multiple
> times with fit to page selected and unselected.
>
> Any advice on how to get the image to fit evenly to a 4 x 6?

Crop.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 8:09:39 PM

Kibo informs me that ottawasmurf@excite.com (charles rampersad) stated
that:

>However when I print this to photo paper the printer skews it down to
>3.5 x 4.75. Yes its the correct aspect ratio still, but when I order
>the computer to fit to screen it should render the image to as close
>to 4 x 6 as it can.

Most printers can't print to the edges of the paper, so the driver
automatically scales your images into the printable area. You can often
turn that setting off, but it'll result in the unprintable parts of your
photo being cropped out by the printer, which is probably not what you
want. If you go into the driver settings, you may have to option to
shrink the margins to the maximum area, which may help a little.
If you want to print right to the edges, you'll need to go shopping for
a printer with a fancier paper-feed system. The terms to look for in the
specifications or feature lists are "Full Bleed Printing", or "Edge to
Edge Printing".

December 19, 2004 11:31:21 PM

charles rampersad wrote:

> Admittedly, I'm a bit of a newb to printing my digital prints myself.
> I have a print that's 2048 X 1536 pixels (28.44 x 21.33 inches)
> keeping an aspect ratio in place this will not evenly reduce to print
> on a 4x6 sheet. cropping the image down to 2010 x 1340 pixels this
> maintains a ratio that in theory reduces to 4 x 6.
>
> However when I print this to photo paper the printer skews it down to
> 3.5 x 4.75. Yes its the correct aspect ratio still, but when I order
> the computer to fit to screen it should render the image to as close
> to 4 x 6 as it can.
>
> I've tried this with both HP Director and MS Photo Editor, multiple
> times with fit to page selected and unselected.
>
> Any advice on how to get the image to fit evenly to a 4 x 6?

If you are working in pixels, the print size could be anywhere. After
you crop to the correct aspect ratio, you should then check image size,
and adjust to 6 x 4. Whether you can actually print a 6 x 4 depends on
the printer and the paper size. Some printers leave a white margin, in
which case I would expect the printing software to alert you that the
image is too big.

Colin
!