HELP HELP HELP...... (upgrade - performance/cost related question)

Si1verc1aw

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
This question is about specifications and relative performance/cost

Origionally I wanted to upgrade and keep my

Q6600
Nvidia 260 GTX
750W PSU (Thermotake)

however..... Q6600s can be seriously outclassed by a cheap i5-750, so I intend to purchase one of those.

So bascially, now I have a 260 GTX and a 750 PSU, and the appropiate skills to assemble, install and finally overclock my machine.

My current intention is to purchase:

MAINBOARD
-Asus P7P55D-E P55, 4DDR3, FSB2133(OC), RAID, GBLAN, PCIEx16, SATA3, USB3, ATX
- (Note the Dual Channel Memory and dual PCI-E - which in a dual setup will allow x8 speed, which does not bottleneck my GPUs in that current configuration, but only just)

CPU
- i5-750
- and buy a Zalman Cooling Device (the best one according to the benchmarks) so hopefully I can achieve a stable overclock around the 4.0 GHz mark, with a suitable multiplier
MEMORY
- G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) Kit, PC-17066 (2133Mhz), Trident, 9-9-9-2N, Dual Channel Kit
(Note the high clockrate and the relativly low latency)
HDD
- keep my own
GPU
- another 260 GTX and SLI then Overclock them
PSU
- intending to keep my 750,

Ok from this, the questions I have as as follows....

What sort of stable overclock would I possibly expect with a i5-750 hooked up with a Zalman CNPS10X?

Will my memory provide superior performance than similar in price (Corsair), with higher latency and lower clockrate, because I have heard some rumours about my cpu bottlenecking my RAM's clockrate anyhow?

Will my 750W psu provide enough power for such a configuration, and if not, would it be possible for me to use my old 600W to supply the GPU auxillary leeds? (which would negate the problem)

And most importantly...... Will I be able to buy a nvidia 3d setup and run empire total war with darthmod and all the toppings in 3d?

Cheers,

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
The performance difference going to an i5 750 shouldn't be massive. I recommend sticking to that cpu+mobo to save some money, unless you're limited by your current board.

750W should be enough if you're looking at a standard upgrade, but it sounds like you're interested in 3d. Do note that you'll need 3d capable monitor and some 3d glasses if you plan to do this. (there are other ways, but this is the most common desktop computer method)

banthracis

Distinguished

1. Depends entirely on the chip. Some i5-750's will hit 4.2, others won't go above 3.6 regardless of temps of power. All luck of the draw there.

2. Trident's will run fine at cas 6 at 1600 speeds. Either way, RAM is pretty much has the least effect on gaming after mobo.

3. Yes

4. You are aware that total war isn't fully supported for 3d surround right? Only these games actually work properly.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Biohazard 5
Lost Planet 2
Metro 2033: The Last Refuge
Supersonic Sled Demo

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Just Cause 2
Mafia II
Resident Evil 5
Stone Giant

Anything else is basically no difference and full of artifacts. Primary reason is that games must be developed with 3D in mind, or you'll never get things to display properly.