12GB Page File, 9GB Hibernate on SSD

daterxies

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I currently have OS installed on a 128gb SSD, and i just noticed that between hibernate (which i never use) and page file, it takes almost 20 gigs, about (depending on what) 1 to 2 games worth of space.

I have 12GB 1600 MHZ Ram. My question is :

Can i put page file on my regular HDD and just set it for system managed (If it ever needs to use it, will i see a noticeable loss of performance) If there wouldn't be no loss of performance i would rather just put this on my HDD since i have tons of room.

Or

Can i put it down to ~4GB (initial size 4GB, Max Size 4GB would be ok?)

I dont know about disabling it as i read that some programs purposly use the page file and you may see a noticeable loss

Thanks for any help

tomatthe

Distinguished
To disable/remove hibernation file run "powercfg –h off" from admin cmd prompt. You can google that and find a link with more info which you may want to do rather then running some random cmd that a forum user suggest.

Most likely you could move the pagefile to your hard drive, and not see any noticeable slowdown. With 12gigs of ram your machine is very rarely going to need a page file. I wouldn't reduce the size of the pagefile, but don't really have any basis for making that suggestion.

ITforFun

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

Check out this article from Tom's as it addresses your questions well.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,2778.html