LCD Monitor question time again

graeme

Hi all,

been a while since I saw one of these threads on here so......

anyone running UT on an LCD Monitor they can recommend?

Looking around the 300GBP range.

NEC LCD71VM or LG L1710S look like possibilities. Anyone tried these?

Concerned that I recently saw an Iiyama and wasn't at all impressed.
Text looked slightly blurred in the centre.

Needs to work well as a general purpose family monitor as well as for
gaming.

My current CRT is very good but I just don't have the space. Don't
want too great a drop off in image quality when I move to the LCD.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Graeme

graeme_smith77@hotmail.com (Graeme) wrote:
>My current CRT is very good but I just don't have the space. Don't
>want too great a drop off in image quality when I move to the LCD.

There are a lot of considerations and compromises in selecting an LCD
monitor for gaming. Check out the reviews and discussions at
http://www.tomshardware.com/ for more details than anyone could want!
8*)

--
William Smith

Bimmer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001

I have a ViewSonic VP171b 17" LCD monitor
and play, UT, UT2004, Quake2, & Quake3 with no problems.

"Graeme" <graeme_smith77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> been a while since I saw one of these threads on here so......
>
> anyone running UT on an LCD Monitor they can recommend?
>
> Looking around the 300GBP range.
>
> NEC LCD71VM or LG L1710S look like possibilities. Anyone tried these?
>
> Concerned that I recently saw an Iiyama and wasn't at all impressed.
> Text looked slightly blurred in the centre.
>
> Needs to work well as a general purpose family monitor as well as for
> gaming.
>
> My current CRT is very good but I just don't have the space. Don't
> want too great a drop off in image quality when I move to the LCD.
>

> Any thoughts much appreciated.
>

> Graeme
>
> 0987654321

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 171P that cost £300inc about 8 months ago.
Impact quality is fantastic, with only the faintest of ghosting that I can
never spot unless I sit there looking for it, and I have run this thru DVI
on a Ti4800SE and a ATI9800Pro.

Just loaded up Torlan in 1280x1024 to make sure I'm not imagining it. Yes,
it's cool!

One thing I would say, is to have a look at www.pcpro.co.uk and other review
sites carefully, and also make sure you get DVI, even though the difference
might be imperceptable.
20ms or less numbers and 450:1 or greater contrast ratios are theortetically
what make a good LCD, but are only a rule of thumb.

Remember that the native res is 1280x1024 and you willl want to play most of
your games in this res, but as time goes on, newer games may require you to
lower the res in order to get good frame rates.
I don't personally have any issues yet running a 2GHz Barton with a 9800Pro
at 1280x1024.

Going from CRT to LCD is initially a bit of a comedown, as the lower
contrast ratio gives a 'duller' picture quality (kind of like the difference
between TV and the cinema). But once you get used to the extra space on your
desk, zero eyestrain, and the general coolness, you'll never want a CRT
again.

A lowered contrast ratio means you need to calibrate monitor carefully in
order that FPSs are playable when dark scenes are involved.

Latest posts