Sign in with
Your question

SPI problem: Belkin router blocks downloads

Last response: in Networking
March 15, 2010 5:24:01 AM

I'm having what my ISP (providing wireless serevice via antenna on my house) says it is an SPI firewall problem: New Belkin router "F5D8235-4 v2033" is preventing completion of any and all downloads from the internet to 2 wired XP SP3 machines (eg. windows updates seem to download only to fail. ) . It also corrupts AVG binary updates. While navigating the web, Pages sometimes are displayed as just Java script but then display appropriately if I refresh (f5). The router's controll panel says it lets me turn off some firewall... Doesn't specify the SPI firewall but what else could it be. ISP tech says the have same problem with another brand of router that also user Stateful Packet Inspection firewall.

To complicate the story, My wireless laptop running Vista has no such problem so I don't know if it's a wired/wireless issue with the router or an XP/Vista issue.

Help!
David
Anonymous
March 15, 2010 8:18:33 AM

If both computers are connected to the ISP via the Belkin, it suggests the problem is with one of the computers. Try turning off firewall(s) in that computer.
m
l
March 16, 2010 6:06:54 AM

Quote:
If both computers are connected to the ISP via the Belkin, it suggests the problem is with one of the computers. Try turning off firewall(s) in that computer.

Thanks for the reply, Fihart.

All firewalls are off: both computers as well as router. Tried AVG update... says "corrupt binary"; downloaded windows updates from MS... says "failed" at the end of each download. All is still as I originally described.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, David
m
l
!