Sign in with
Your question

Hp laptop hard drives speeds

Last response: in Storage
September 2, 2012 6:04:44 AM

I've been trying to figure out wich hard drive to get for my new HP laptop. But since I know pretty much "squat" about computers I need help. Could someone tell me which is faster? I really hate how my computer lags if I try to open a second program and it takes forever to load, while the already opened program freezes. Here are the options:

1) 750GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
2) 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive

3)50GB 7200 rpm Hybrid Hard Drive

4) 1.5TB 5400 rpm Dual Hard Drive
5) 1.5TB 7200 rpm Dual Hard Drive

6) 2TB 5400 rpm Dual Hard Drive

Naturaly I would think that the higher the number the faster but are they noticeably faster ? I've been reading and there is conflicting info they are talking about "IOPS, flash memory" all kinds of techno babel that I don't get. What is more important the GB or RPM, and what the heck is a Hybrid drive? I assume dual hard drive is just two of them? HELP!

And what the f**k is 32GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache and is it worth getting?
a b G Storage
September 3, 2012 6:45:29 AM

Do not buy a 5400RPM drive. 7200 RPM is definitely the slowest you want to go with.

Notice: Once a drive exceeds 50% capacity, performance starts dropping. Windows runs in the "Balanced" power scheme by default. if the drive is inactive for a period of time, it turns off. when it spins back up, it will cause a momentary freeze. to avaoid this, change the anvanced power management settings in the control panel.

The 32GB mSSD cache will make a huge improvement in system performance, but will add a little extra complexity to the computer.

RAID will give you even better performance, but will add complexity to the computer and make recovery slightly more difficult, depending on the failure.

Easiest setup would be a drive that is AT LEAST 500GB @ at leaast 7200 RPM with at least 16MB cache (I don't mean SSD cache.)
(This is the slowest of the recommended setups, but it will be the easiest and most reliable. simple setup, just plug the drive in and insert a windows disk and you are good to go. no muss no fuss)
m
l
Related resources
!