Sign in with
Your question

Geforce 8800GTX Blown - 5770 Upgrade / Fault

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 28, 2010 6:39:22 AM

:cry: 

Recently my Geforce 8800GTX decided to pop (I believe due to overheating and a filthly heatsync/fan) it was hitting 80Degrees plus on the constant. I was in game and decided to alt tab which produced a bluescreen of death, PC wouldn't boot for ages I had to remove the GFX card reset bios and then put it back in. There after graphic burn marks appeared all over my screen and I was unable to load any drivers (Tried quite a few different versions) in windows (Bluescreen everytime it tried to boot with drivers installed) VGA mode was fine, but useless.

I decided to purchase a brand new Radeon 5770 - Vapor-X from http://www.overclockers.co.uk and installed it but now my computer doesn't post until the 6th or 7th reboot (It reboots itself until finally posting) but once it's posted it runs like a dream. If I return the card I will be without a computer for several days, I just can't decide if it's worth sending it back... I know I should but I can put up with the initial rebooting fiasco. As professionals what do you think could be wrong here? I was wondering if perhaps there may be a motherboard fault but the other card (blown one) posts just fine. I have a ASUS P5N-E motherboard and have recently upgraded to 8GB DDR800 (Which I believe that certain DDR 800 memory modules cause problems) but she seems pretty stable once up and running. Basically what I am asking here is whether anyone can gander a guess at what (Technically) could be causing the the posting loop and whether or not it's going to get worse.

Oh and for those that are wondering whether a jump from the Geforce 8800GTX to a Radeon 5770 is worth it, well... IT IS! :sol:  and I haven't even had the need to overclock it yet.
:sleep: 
a c 169 U Graphics card
May 28, 2010 6:52:44 AM

have your overclcoked your CPU ? if so then revert it back to normal speeds and test again.
Also try running memtest for some hours to make sure your RAM is OK
May 28, 2010 9:05:57 AM

CPU is not overclocked, will run memtest when I get a chance, ta - Just concerned that my card may be faulty... erk
May 28, 2010 1:11:16 PM

The card was hitting 85-90c regularly, I can't see how drivers would effect the card posting but yes I completely removed my nvidia software & drivers before install the new ATI card - which runs beautifully besides rebooting 6-10 times before getting a post.

The power supply being bad is something I need to look at, thanks for that. Will organise a voltmeter from work. Any idea what the connectors on the graphics card should be pushing?

I'm running Corsair DDR 800 - I have the timings for it somewhere (I will check that it's running on 2volts) I believe I left it on auto. Thanks for that.

As for my windows being corrupt I don't believe this is the case.

Thanks for the info mate, keep it coming!
!