Setting up my SSD

0BackwoodsBoy0

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Right, so I've basically gone over and upgraded every part of my computer now, and my latest part was a new case for better cooling etc. I then saw a 2.5" SSD bay and thought, "Oh yeah, I'll get one of those". So, I've decided on a 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD (on sale at Scan atm), but I've got one problem.
I want to keep my old 500GB HDD for little games that aren't really important (this is a gaming pc) and I've calculated that Battlefield 3, Skyrim, and Crysis 3 will all fit on with windows 7, and as new games come out, I'll just uninstall and put it on the old HDD, hense the use of the old HDD.
I understand how to do a clean install, but only with a windows 7 disc (insert, bios, boot from CD/ROM drive) But I have no clue on how to format my old one put windows 7 on the ssd and make it the primary drive and then set up the other HDD?
Question one: How do I format my old HDD and put Windows 7 on the SSD?
Question two: Do both HDDs require windows 7 on them? (I pressume only one does?)
Question three: After formatting my old drive, do I just put windows 7 on the SSD?
Question four: Would they need some sort of RAID set up or something?
If I have got all of that completely wrong, sorry, I would love for someone just to tell me what to do. I'm not an idiot, just a noob with PCs, I'm trying to learn. Never done anything with HDDS...So just tell me what to do and I'll do it :p Just a bit worried that something will go wrong. I heard about cloning, but I only want to put some parts on the SSD, and leave parts on the HDD
Thanks a bunch,
Adam

rogigor

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
1) Just set the disc priority in bios to SSD and then start the installation as you normally would. When you'll see the windows installation menu just choose the SSD drive and install the OS on it.

2) No. You'll need Windows only on the SSD

3) You can format your HDD after the installation of Windows on your SSD. You can format your HDD in windows installation menu as well.

4) No.

Installing the OS on SSD looks just the same as on HDD. You just have to choose the SSD in the Windows installation menu and that's it. After the installation just set the boot priority to SSD so your PC doesn't try to boot from hdd.

But remember to set the drives in AHCI mode. To do this go to the bios and look for sata mode options. Make sure it's not in IDE mode.