Solved

Thanks Community! Retail v. Custom

Hello Tom's Community,

I just wanted to share my experience with you all to express my gratitude for your insight and frustration with my own ignorance.

About a month ago i decided on getting a new computer as a graduation present for myself as well as a transition back to desktops. (When i started school i decided to get a high end laptop for portability and entertainment sake as well as productivity) - HP HDX9494nr

Computers were my only hobby i entirely enjoy - i mean every aspect of it, i don't know why its just something special that i think a lot of you can relate to.

So for my new desktop, after a lot (but not enough) consideration I decided to buy a pre-fabbed desktop from a manufacturer. I broke my own rule; i said to myself many a time that i wouldn't do that!

I thought that i was too busy with work and school that it would just be easier and so i went with iBuyPower.

So i did more research and was dissapointed by all the negetive reviews, i mean i literally never saw so many horrible things about a company (maybe a lil exageration, but i mean just a little bit thuough! cuz the customer reviews were always so horrible. I talked myself into beleiving that mine would be different... ... ...

That system:

i7 930
6GB Dominator 1600
x58 ud3r
5970 XXX
haf932
various other things...

$2500.71

So, all that needs to be said is that after my refund was initiated i began looking again and found so many deals/ promos/ coupons/ rebates that i decided to go with my various shopping carts and do what i hadn't done for myself in 3 years (because of school and work)

So once my refund was back i immediately started ordering parts

i7 980x
Rampage III
12Gb Dominator GT 1866
Corsair Obsidian 800D
X-Fi Ti Fat Pro
2*2TB WD Blacks
2*1.5TB WD Blacks
Asus DVD
BT 3.0
Wireless N
9800GT (untill i decide what gfx to buy 5970 - GTX480)
point being way faster computer

~3000.00

Built with time and care, zip ties and actually spending some time for cable management (ibuypower spawns flying spaghetti monsters in their cases), i can't believe the power and quality of my new computer.

But i can't take all the credit.

You guys gave me so much insight that i ignored here or there, but in the end it turned out great.

Thanks Tom's Forum Members!
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about thanks community retail custom
  1. Best answer
    I'm glad you enjoyed doing your own build! If you need anything else, you know where we are!
  2. At that price point, no SSD?

But yeah, in the long run building it yourself is better.
  3. Well he started with a 1,000 CPU so that inflated his end price by a significant amount.
  4. Honestly i'm still not comfortable with SSDs, they're still too new to me... I still think 110-130mb/s is fast from the 2tb drives, paying an extra $200 for a small drive w/ 150-170mb/s doesn't seem worth it.

Anyhow, the only thing i'm debating now is the main gfx card... 5970 4gb: $1200 don't like driver interface/ usability/ stability - but when it works its pretty f'ing fast and can crank everything up in gta, 3 slots no problem with other slots...
    480: love nvidia drivers, more stability/ compatibility $1000 aint bad to beat the 5970 but i might need to kill off my wireless card for 4 slots
  5. Oooh. We have created a monster. :)

Oh, well. As I say, "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing."
  6. Best answer selected by silversurfernhs.
  7. Btw, what's the resolution of your monitor?
  8. You can consider the Sapphire 5970 Toxic, great card.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product