Building a PC, Im New

Isaac Cisneros

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
What's up everyone, im new to tom'shardware ( I joined today ) Im 14 years old, and It has been like 4 months I started to get informed and very interested in both software and hardware.

Ok, the thing is ... that I want to build a computer ... I've never build a computer, but I've watched some videos on how to build them. I have a dinosaur computer, It's big, noisy and old.

I'ts a DELL Computer and I bought it like 6 years ago.

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz L2 Cache 256KB

512MB RAM ( I don't know what kind RAM it is or if it is DDR1 or 2)

Plug n' Play Generic Monitor (CRT)

Radeon 9200 Series

I want to make a full upgrade, I was thinking about a AMD Phenom II X4 processor, i have read good reviews about it and its cheap in comparison to intel, AM3 motherboard, a 5850/5830 Radeon HD, 60GB SSD Reactor Corsair, and 4 or 6 gb of RAM.
I use computers for gaming, and i play games like Total war series and some counter strike source, i would like to paly games like Modern Warfare 2.

Im really limited with my computer, and I want a quite decent computer to handle those kind of games, and at a mid-low price.

Any help and suggestions would be GREATLY APRECCIATED, Im really interested in learning more about technology.

Thank You.

Isaac Cisneros

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010

Thanks dogman, i think I didnt notice there was a systems category ... but now I know it.

Ok I will send the link to you.

Isaac Cisneros

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010

Yeah ... those 24" monitors look great ... I will post this same thread to the systems category ... and I will send you the link, I dont want to bother people in the forum with this thread in the wrong place.

And thanks for those advices ... I hope you keep helping me on the other thread ... Thank you.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Isacc, I to am new to building. I just finished my first. Since I am new to this I thought a smart thing to do would be to follow an already tested "receipe" for building. So I read all the "Build your own" articles in Tom's HW. I figured I'm already risking a good investment of money in a rig i build instead of buying one in the store so build one already tested. It saves you the worry of compatibility issues and things of that sort.
This is my set up...

AsRock x58 extreme
core i7 930
stock intel cooler
powercolor radeon HD 5850
corsair TX 750 ps
dominator tri channel 1600
wd 1 TB

I dropped one of the video cards in the build, upgraded the cpu from i7 920 to the 930 and improved the ram. Its all going well. Depending on your budget theres probably a build there that suits your needs. Good Luck